29ers HOW LIGHT IS YOURS?

Hermanus Cycles

I have been playing with bits and bobs,not too expensive,trying to get my 29er Xtc as light as is affordable.

What have you got and with what kit and weight?

Mine is down to 10.6kg with pedals and sealant.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my Scandal down to 10.9kg with the Carbon fork. Haven't weighed it since I put the Squishy fork & Hopes on. Just received the braided hose for the Hopes, so will be changing that this weekend. Still have to put on a decent headset and change the crank.

Think my Peace must be somewhere around 14-15kg's smiley4.gif

Got my Scandal down to 10.9kg with the Carbon fork. Haven't weighed it since I put the Squishy fork & Hopes on. Just received the braided hose for the Hopes' date=' so will be changing that this weekend. Still have to put on a decent headset and change the crank.

Think my Peace must be somewhere around 14-15kg's smiley4.gif [/quote']

Are you sure about you Peace weight, mine doesn't feel that heavy and it is bog standard.

Never weighed the Peace and GT don't have the weight on their website but being a steel frame and fork, it has to be at least 3-4kg's heavier than my Scandal.

Got my Scandal down to 10.9kg with the Carbon fork. Haven't weighed it since I put the Squishy fork & Hopes on. Just received the braided hose for the Hopes' date=' so will be changing that this weekend. Still have to put on a decent headset and change the crank.

Think my Peace must be somewhere around 14-15kg's smiley4.gif [/quote']

Ouch,The peace is a bit chunky?

Mikes Bikes built a Santa Cruz Tallboy to 11.4kg. Not bad for a full-suspension 29er!

My Scandal 29er Single speed weighs about 9.7kg and my geared Scandal 29er with "Squishy fork"Big%20smile  weighs about 11.4kg

SteveS2010-01-26 03:28:46

Yeah, my SS Scandal is also just under 10kg mark, my Titus Racer X with gears comes in at about 11.4 most of the time.

This is what my Giant XTC 29er looks like after the diet.

10.6 until I get the cane creek bar ends off.I think those are 230gr.

It started at 11.8kgs with no pedals.

20100126_033224_bike_007_Small.jpg

My Epic is 11.5 kg's, I have not even started saving weight and couldn't be too bothered.

My Steel S.I.R. 9 is 9.8 kg's.

Size does matter though - my 22" Evolve is 13kg - as on the road (pedals, sealant, grips, bottle cage etc)

That was before I added the Polar sensor, bar-ends, lights and saddle bag though.

Have not tried to make lighter yet - just happy to be out there riding

Not quite a 29er but half way there Wink

My SS 69er weighed in at around 10kgs, when it had an old Deore DX crankset and the original steel fork.

Haven't weighed it as it is now.

This is what it has on now.

Frame: 1994 Diamond back APEX

Fork: 26" Exotic Rigid Carbon

Front wheel: Alexrims G2000 on LX hub, with 29" WTB Exiwolf 2.3

Rear Wheel: Alexrims DM18 on Novatec hub, specialized Fast track

Crank: XTR 960 (half way through Jones mod) with Mono Veloce chainring

Handlebar: On-one Fleegle

etc.

Setup up as singlespeed

Niner Air 9 Large / Reba SL fork / XT-XTR group / Velocty VXC rims / Conti Race Kings tubeless / PRO Koryak finishing kit / not a single piece of carbon

10.9kg

Sub 10kg is probably possible with a lot of money and a significant loss in reliability...