PPA and safety

Groot Lem 2

Just returned home from a productive(lets see) meeting with PPA about safety esp for the racing bunches.

I had 3 major concerns:

a) Clear finish lines of obstacles..cones, timing boxes, slow riders

b) short, med routes do not mix with racing bunches

c)keep riders safe from oncoming traffic

Will post in more detail later, but going for a relaxing mountainbike ride now. We made progress and PPA is very willing to work together for the rider. I started by explaining just because I drive a car at 120k/h, does not mean I can be employed to design a racing course for Schumi, as I have no idea how fast, what happens to him, and how to keep him safe.

A commissaire or myself may override a PPA staff member and move or remove certain things we think is unsafe.

The Boland committee will get involved with assisting to get racing safer in Boland areas, and WP will do the same in Cape areas.

Let me go hit the singletrack.

Oh, and I did spot some cool new routes for circuit racing..

Well done Groot Lem Big%20smile

Its about time these jokers look after our interest. After Sundays Black day, no more need to be said................

It's welcome and i trust a step in the correct direction Clap Clap Clap

ClapClap Right attitude, getting people in positions that are capable of handling it.

FanieFiets2010-01-26 09:47:42

Guest colonel

move or remove certain things we think is unsafe.

So far you need to remove PPA

and the development riders

Are PPA going to release a statement of any sort on their view of Sunday's disaster?  I think it's quite a poor showing of them to adopt the keep quiet tactic. 

@Mrs colonel. What disaster are you talking about?

Simonsvlei Funride on Sunday 24 January.

Almost every bunch had a accident in the last 2km of the race, due to narrow road, cars parked on the side of the road either pulling out or just in the way, pedestrians in the road, bunches trying to pass slow riders.

The list is endless. 

@Mrs colonel. What disaster are you talking about?

24th Jan10; Simonsvlei league race & funride:

-         unusual high amount of cycling crashes seemed to have occurred in a specific area;

-         cyclists were injured;

-         cycling equipment was damaged

-         emergency support services seemed to be unsatisfactory at that specific time and place;

-         image of cycling was negatively affected

-         the image & brand of Simonsvlei and other sponsers was tainted

-         image of PPA as the event (co-)organizers was negatively affected

Well done groot lem.

We need people on the board that are from the front, middle and back of the fields so that they can improve the running of events.

Clap

and the development riders

Maybe we just need a proper channel where you can report a rider, and then he/she can get banned for a race or whatever....

At the moment, Not PPA, nor the Race Host provides that service. PPA says they only advise at races, but they also want to set the rules of whiteline riding etc. but not set the rules for a safe finish?

I wish that PPA would start controlling the WHOLE race, with the same vigilance they control the whiteline rule, Ipod rule, helmet and race-number rule.

Can you imagine....just try for a sec...

coenie2010-01-27 02:33:18

Glow cones that pop out of no where.  Km sign boards placed outide of the yellow line right in the direct path of racing groups. Slow or short route riders in the middle of the road. These are all real problems. Well done Groot Lem. 

The carnage at the finish in the sub vets was down to a single rider I have on good authority.

He rides for PEPCell and didn't even return to the accident to see if the fallen riders were ok Thumbs%20Down

This doesn't mitigate the comedy of errors mentioned in previous posts that led to so many incidents in the same vicinity of the Simonsvlei ride.

• 2 weeks later...