Which grease where?

Super_mil

Perhaps you guys can help me out smiley9.gif.

I've noticed that there are a number of types of grease out there, lithium, teflon etc and all are available as 'bike' specific grease (i.e. sold by bike specific brands at an inflated price), but do you really need the various types of grease for the different bits on the bike? and if so, whats the best grease for a prticular component?

Alternatively can one just get away with the Castrol muli-purpose type grease?

Unless you wanna grease your butt so you dn't end up like HR there is nothing on the bike that you would wanna grease anyway .

Unless you wanna grease your butt so you dn't end up like HR there is nothing on the bike that you would wanna grease anyway .

What about the bearings in the hubs? The contact point of the crank and the BB? The contact points of the saddle/frame, stem/fork and stem/handlebars?

Not sure if this is a hijack.

But could someone run through the process to remove and grease a crankset and BB.

Mine is squeaking abit and I wanna do it myself and not take it to the LBS.

Also is it safe to do it myself on a carbon frame?

You grease your BB ??? WTF who told you to do that ? I am not to sure what is meant with contact points but if you wanna grease then I suppose they suppose to be

You grease your BB ??? WTF who told you to do that ? I am not to sure what is meant with contact points but if you wanna grease then I suppose they suppose to be

Jy gaan nogal baja sukkil as jy jou saal se pyp wil uithaal en hy het homself vasgeweld aan die frame van jou se camo bike...... sonner dat jy dit gedoen het!!!!!!!!!!

Take it to LBS.

If you don't know and WANT to do it yourself - go on a small course. If you don't know anything you'll just waste your time and maby even screw up.

One can't do everything yourself - my motto. So focus on what you wanna be good at and leave the rest to the other pro's

Mmmmm BH if you do not remove your saddle everytime you clean your bike then you are asking for your seat post to weld itself in there !!!!! There are NO open bearings on my bike !!!! How do you grease a sealed bearing ?

Take it to LBS.If you don't know and WANT to do it yourself - go on a small course. If you don't know anything you'll just waste your time and maby even screw up.One can't do everything yourself - my motto. So focus on what you wanna be good at and leave the rest to the other pro's

I thought that is what the tech forum was for? a spot where people could ask questions and possibly get some good answers from those with some experiance.

But if I had to grease something on my bike for any reason , then Copperslip will be the prefered grease . Why you may ask ? Because I got a lot of the stuff around .

When I replaced the bearings on my dual-sus rear suspenssion (608-2RS & 6085-2RS) I lifted the seals with a utility knife and drove in extra 'bearing' grease using a syringe. Packed those suckers full of grease. I was surprised by how little grease was in the new bearings, however I did buy cheepies and have accepted that I'll just have to replace more often. Perhaps the better quality bearings come with more grease as a standard?

Anyway, we're drifting from the topic. So, are there particualr greases that perfom better for diffent bits on a bike or will a muli-pupose grease work?

Mmmmm BH if you do not remove your saddle everytime you clean your bike then you are asking for your seat post to weld itself in there !!!!! There are NO open bearings on my bike !!!! How do you grease a sealed bearing ?

Nie almal het camo bikes wat alles op toe is nie!!!!!

I seem to remember a recent Ride or Buycycling where they discussed the topic...... anybody remember???????

I've heard marine grease is quite good to use...any comments?

yup, we use it at the shop, and i use it at home too.