Which grease where?

Super_mil

Not sure if this is a hijack.

But could someone run through the process to remove and grease a crankset and BB.

Mine is squeaking abit and I wanna do it myself and not take it to the LBS.

Also is it safe to do it myself on a carbon frame?

you got the right tools?

My word - what a load of dribble!!!!!

There are huge variances in the various greases you get - the big plus with a bike none of the bearings are ever running fast enough for the grease to be a big issue. To put things in perspective a 6000-2RS deep groove ball bearing used in some bike wheels has a limiting speed of 40000rpm - at 40km/h the wheel is doing 5rpm.

Marine greases are simply waterproof i.e. they don't mix so easily with water and create an emulsion

If you have a deep groove ball bearing assembly - leave the seals alone - they bearings are pregreased, so there is no need to add more. In bike applications the raceways are likely to brinnel before the grease life is exceeded anyway. You only need a small amount of grease to lubricate - adding more does little to help (in high speed applications ie not bikes, overgreasing will lead to rapid failure of the bearing)

Also - when apply new grease: If you are not sure what the previous grease is i.e. not the same as you are putting in now, make sure clean out the old greases completely - NOT ALL GREASES ARE COMPATIBLE. Most grease is lithium (or lithium complex) based, so 90% of the time this is not a real issue, but if you were to mix a sodium base in you would have a balls up of note.

@dirt-rider: Copperslip is not a grease, it is an antiseizing agent. While grease will work in the place of copperslip, copperslip will not work (properly)as a lubricant in the place of grease.

Also, be careful what use on carbon seat posts and frames. The resins in carbon fibre are sometime affected by certain greases - eg. Scott issue a warning on their CR1 frames about it

smiley3.gif Its a high temperature grease, basically put it on high temperature components that will need to be removed in future. But does not matter , I DO NOT GREASE MY BIKES .

And to answer super_mil:

multi purpose grease would be fine - it wouldn't be the theoretically ideal grease, but given the stupidly low speed of bike bearings it not an issue. Grease contamination is the biggest problem.

With respect to topping up the bearings - If I remember correctly, the grease SKF use on their deep groove ball bearing is LGWA2 which is 2 consistency lithium base grease - more readliy available as products like Shell Alvania RL2

• 2 months later...

My word - what a load of dribble!!!!!

?

There are huge variances in the various greases you get - the big plus with a bike none of the bearings are ever running fast enough for the grease to be a big issue. To put things in perspective a <FONT size=2 face=Arial>6000-2RS deep groove ball bearing?used in some?bike wheels has a limiting speed of 40000rpm - at 40km/h the wheel is doing 5rpm.

?

Marine greases are simply waterproof i.e. they don't mix so easily with water and create an emulsion

?

If you have a deep groove ball bearing assembly - leave the seals alone - they bearings are pregreased' date=' so there is no need to add more. In bike applications the raceways are likely to brinnel before the grease life is exceeded anyway. You only need a small amount of grease to lubricate - adding more does little to help (in high speed applications ie not bikes, overgreasing will lead to rapid failure of the bearing)

?

Also - when apply new grease: If you are not sure?what the previous grease is i.e. not the same as you are putting in now, make sure clean out the old greases completely - NOT ALL GREASES ARE COMPATIBLE. Most grease is lithium (or lithium complex) based, so 90% of the time this is not a real issue, but if you were to mix a sodium base in you would have a balls up of note.

?

@dirt-rider: Copperslip is not a grease, it is an antiseizing agent. While grease will work in the place of copperslip, copperslip will not work (properly)as a lubricant in the place of grease.

?

Also, be careful what use on carbon seat posts and frames. The resins in carbon fibre?are sometime affected by certain greases - eg. Scott issue a warning on their CR1 frames about it
[/quote']

I just did a search regarding the topic of the thread.

I think I found my answer.

The reason for my search is that I serviced the bearings on my hubs last night and used marine grease.

I would just like to note though...

I did some sums and 40km/h translated to 327rpm or 5.4 revolutions per second.

Just a note, I might be wrong.MaxUmis2010-05-06 04:44:37