NCR: Marketing telephone calls

Andyr249

My mood changes rapidly when the first thing I hear is 'Hello' date=' How are you?' or I answer the phone 'Hello, Patrick speaking'? and they say 'Hello, is that Patrick?'

[/quote']

Hello? Is this Patrick?

20100209_083013_Patrick_star.gifWayne_Potgieter2010-02-09 08:30:15

My mood changes rapidly when the first thing I hear is 'Hello' date=' How are you?' or I answer the phone 'Hello, Patrick speaking'  and they say 'Hello, is that Patrick?'

[/quote']

Exactly! And you know it is from the bank phoning to offer you something where they start with your initials!

I was told you can sms your ID no to 34385 to opt out.

Yeah right. You go first.

some clever person might steel your identity and sum cash, so go on send your ID no.

I'll be the fisrt one to laughLOLLOLLOLLOL

Jakes_12010-02-09 08:45:06

I was told you can sms your ID no to 34385 to opt out.
That's correct. You can also do it online at:http://www.facilities.co.za/dma/dnc.aspxDirect Marketing Association' Opt Out RegisterIf you're on the list' date=' no member of the DMA can phone you to market stuff to you. Since I signed a year or two ago, I've had almost no marketing calls.[/quote']

This actually looks pretty legit.

EDMAN - what do you classify as "almost no marketing calls" ie roughly how many a month?

I subscribed to the do not contact database about a year ago, and receive hardly anything anymore...one or two still leak through the cracks though, and then i just play with them!

If you DO have some time on your hands...

Refuse to answer anything until they have answered a few questions

Start by asking them to confirm their first name

Then their surname

Then their middle name

Then their postal address - make sure you get them to spell one of the easy words three times

Then their residential address

Then their cell no

Eventually they will hang up on you, very confused

The longer you can keep them talking, the more money they are losing in potential commission on their next call

EDMAN - what do you classify as "almost no marketing calls" ie roughly how many a month?

I would say maybe one every two months or so and most of those have been from my bank, cellphone company, medical aid, insurance etc - I think there's an escape clause that allows companies to contact existing clients to sell them new crap.

Edman2010-02-09 09:34:23

i get about 2 sms's a month, and yep a phone call every two months or so (if that). The sms are more often from some scammer as opposed to direct marketing

If you DO have some time on your hands...

Refuse to answer anything until they have answered a few questions

Start by asking them to confirm their first name

Then their surname

Then their middle name

Then their postal address - make sure you get them to spell one of the easy words three times

Then their residential address

Then their cell no

Eventually they will hang up on you' date=' very confused

The longer you can keep them talking, the more money they are losing in potential commission on their next call

[/quote']

A little cruel dont you think,theres a thread going here about unemployed hubbers,sometimes people have no choice but to take thankless jobs like these,I usually politely tell the person on the other end Iam not interested,never had them be rude or pushy after that,could you do what they doing and put up with the abuse,puts what you do into perspective and shows how lucky you are.

Step 1: Invite them to tell me about there product and off they go.

Step 2: Take the phone and put in the drawer.

They soon get the message after wasting their time. Occasionally you will here a desperate "Hello? Hello?" coming from the drawer.

I had a phonecall from an agent for an insurance company yesterday morning. I politely told them I wasn't interested and the conversation ended.

Not 15 minutes later, the same agent phoned me again ! smiley36.gif

We signed up to give to this care home twice a year....and then the harrassment started.

I think they put the grans on warning that they had to earn their keep in donations or they were out in the street.

Theyd phone us up every month, different folk, and we'd explain how we were signed up and no problem with the commitment; theyd say "oh yes, its not due yet is it dearie?" and we'd go "no".

Then it was every week & at twice a week we got "a little tense" & stopped giving altogether.

They havent phoned since.

Alzheimers - they forget they phoned you two minutes ago; then they forget you full stop.

& malkie.  I like where you're at.  That will confuse the bejeezers out of em.

I actualy got a call from SARS.  Guy told me I owed R32 000.  Asked for ref no and the callers name, was told to call the info center, where I discovered I owed 67c.  WTF?

• 9 months later...