Sram XX

DownhillingKing

The groupset is expensive, dont get wrong.

But its not so much more than say sramX0 and Xtr.

The one thing i cant understand though is how a cassette can cost R3,5k. That blows my mind. If I got it I would never ride in mud!

Apparently you can run a road cassette with XX as far as i'm aware, as long as its 10speed. So SRAM Red Cassette 11-28 is R1700ish-ish. Campy Super Record Cassette is also in the 3K-plus range.

With the sram XX RD being so expensive can you not just buy a shifter and 10sp road derailer?

Road derailer is short cage so max 28 on the rear,not many people strong enough to ride that on a mtb thoLOL

How can you use a 9 speed deraileur when you have 10 speed shifters???

It doesnt matter. I used it like this a few times before. The der has got nothing to do with the amount of gears.

Doesn't it throw the spacing out? Not saying you're wrong just not 100% sure. If so, learnt something new today LOL I know you can run a 10 speed deraileur with 9 speed shifters, didn't know the opposite was also applicable

The spacing comes from the shifter, not the RD. the RD will move the distance to shifter tells it to. So long as the no of shifts matches the no of sprockets on the cassette there is not a problem.

I remember when shifting went from 7sp to 8sp, the debate was the same back then...now I'm giving away how long I've been playing with bicycles...

The one thing i cant understand though is how a cassette can cost R3' date='5k. That blows my mind. If I got it I would never ride in mud![/quote']

because it takes about 9hrs to make one from a solid piece of steel.

The spacing comes from the shifter' date=' not the RD. the RD will move the distance to shifter tells it to. So long as the no of shifts matches the no of sprockets on the cassette there is not a problem.

?

I remember when shifting went from 7sp to 8sp, the debate was the same back then...now I'm giving away how long I've been playing with bicycles...
[/quote']

maybe if you stay within the brand but just look at Sram and Shimano. You can not use the levers from one with a derailleur from another. You can not use a 1:1 lever on a 2:1 derailleur and visa versa.

The one thing i cant understand though is how a cassette can cost R3' date='5k. That blows my mind. If I got it I would never ride in mud![/quote']

because it takes about 9hrs to make one from a solid piece of steel.

Yup now can you imagine how many cnc machines they have going at once to produce enough for worldwide consumption...keeping in mind that a cnc machine would set you back at least 250k locally.

[quote=techguy

...keeping in mind that a cnc machine would set you back at least 250k locally.

The CNC machine to machine a rear sproket from a solid billet would cost more the R2mil.

With the sram XX RD being so expensive can you not just buy a shifter and 10sp road derailer?

Road derailer is short cage so max 28 on the rear' date='not many people strong enough to ride that on a mtb thoLOL
[/quote']

The biggest I have on the back is a 28 and only have one chain ring on the front 38t and I can ride up tokai!

[quote=techguy

...keeping in mind that a cnc machine would set you back at least 250k locally.

The CNC machine to machine a rear sproket from a solid billet would cost more the R2mil.

Ok I stand corrected,