JHB South-detour SBR-JHB South

Tachymeter

I think there must be some confusion here the only Hotel and Camping Site that I know of in the reserve used to be called Karee Kloof and the entrance to that was on the R557 road on the Meyerton side of the reserve. This also gives you access to the reserve. That was then taken over by Protea Hotel and as far as I know is still the only place there is. There is however a signpost on the N3 road to the Hotel at Klipriver road but you must then go past the north entrance to the reserve to get to the R557 entrance. So in my mind the reserve has two entrances and the Hotel one?

Or I might be wrong?

I think there must be some confusion here ................................ So in my mind the reserve has two entrances and the Hotel one?   Or I might be wrong?

Protea run the accommodation on the North side of the reserve accessed off the N3 / R550.  You can get brekky in the building by the main car park now. 

I think there must be some confusion here ................................ So in my mind the reserve has two entrances and the Hotel one?   Or I might be wrong?

Protea run the accommodation on the North side of the reserve accessed off the N3 / R550.  You can get brekky in the building by the main car park now. 

Thanks JL that makes sense!

So we have determined thast their is two entrances, the old karee kloof one that will take you to the caravan park and the "day visitors" side with the swimming pool and the speed slides. The second one is past klipriver and tokoza which coming from r59 you take the heidelburg offramp and turn left and keep going straight which will bring you to the Pretea gate on your right or am I smoking the pipe?

So we have determined thast their is two entrances' date=' the old karee kloof one that will take you to the caravan park and the "day visitors" side with the swimming pool and the speed slides. The second one is past klipriver and tokoza which coming from r59 you take the heidelburg offramp and turn left and keep going straight which will bring you to the Pretea gate on your right or am I smoking the pipe?[/quote']

Spot on dude. 2 Entrances, both give you entry to a wonderful cycling heaven. But always go in the direction shown, never ride in the opposite direction because the parks people will stop us riding there.

If you go in at the N3 entrance, your car will be nice and safe in the car park...and you get to start off the ride with the "Col Du Muthafluffa"....once at the top (T junction) head left for a couple km's until you get another junction, go left again and you'll ride along the top of the Suikerbosrand. Like Indigo said, be VERY carefull on the twisty downhill. When you finally see a small lake/dam on your left, you know your gonna be climbing lots for the next hour or so! Culminating in the energy destroying long climb out of the gorge. Enjoy it bud!

I'd go with the long rides for the mean time Tachy, with the occasional SBR ride thrown in to keep the fitness up there. I dont see you having a problem doing a sub 3hour 94.7.

After we did that long ride in December, I think I'm safe in saying this.

Felty...there are also bungalo's on the N3 side of the reserve. Not many, but they are very neat, and well kept. But Kareekloof still remains the more popular camping destination.

Its really self explanatory once there, but its magic for riding.

A nice alternative is to park at the circus coffee shop, then ride up to the Kareekloof entrance, do a full lap (of both loops) and then back out the same entrance and back to the circus (84Km). Add in the Interclub/CGC champs route around Bosco, and you'll end up with 107Km.

We ride from Alberton to the reserve and back giving totals between 136Km and 150Km depending on the route to SBR.

We're starting again this Saturday and probably every weekend until the Panorama Tour. Frosty2010-03-03 02:56:12

We actually start in Albermarle (Mervs Hardware).

Depending on the route - we sometimes head down the steps from Mayberry Park if we're going in at the Kareekloof entrance, or we'll go down the R103 (Carnival route) from Wadeville/Leondale if we go in through the Main car park entrance.

I'll post more details tomorrow about the route - we'll discuss the route at our race meeting tonight.

The guys are leaving at 05:45 to get to the gate by 07:00.

I'm riding on the dirt for the next few weekends, so won't be there this weekend.

Okay, the group is leaving Albemarle at 05:45.

Riding down Swartkoppies to the Xumbugs 4-way intersection (Klipriver drive), then along the Hyper2Hyper route to Klipriver.

Left to the main entrance, a full lap, and back up the steps.

If you're interested, look out for the Germiston Wheelers kit (race team and normal club kit).