STASH YOUR TRASH!!!

Little1

Johan - i am planning on writing a strongly worded note to the organisers' date=' just need to calm myself and focus on the issue.

I would like to get organisers to buy into the idea of getting recyclers to come and collect our stashed trash at the end of the race. So I need to be very careful about how i put it. Also have to admit, i was furious and let this lady have it (thankfully without swearing, so i still have some dignity). So i will need to put my words very clearly and thoughtfully! Geek

[/quote']

great idea Little1.  they need to know the people who come to ride their races are concerned for this kind of thing.  now all you need is an alter ego and superhero name and you're all set! Wink

crikey! i just got a reply to an info seeking email from ROAG (they ran the entries and regis - very well) as to whom i should contact in this regard.They just confirmed that the cyclist responsible = WAS THE ORGANISER!!! So she shall be receiving from me shortly a very strongly and clearly worded letter in this regard!

JA NEE. race organisers often plead we don't litter because of the privilige of using certain roads/routes . it seems that the moral value of not littering in general has declined to the point that it goes by as the norm. taxis in our area of kzn make pit stops at rivers and just dump their LOADS of kfc in the river. throw freakin rubbish every where and look at sabc camres sheepishly saying "oh look at the conditions we have to live in , our kids play in rubbish and we don't have clean water"

I SAY NAME EM. that might get the particular parties to commit to cleanliness

I even stopped andf turned around at last years Teak MTB race to pick up my empty gel packet I dropped by mistake, and then put the sticky thing in my jersey.

I do chuch banana peals though, as I feel these are biodegradeable, what do you guys think ?

Yip...2 or 3 days later and banana peel is gone, bio-degraded to nothingness (if not a few minutes later it became supper for a small fury family)Thumbs%20Up

Had the same issue on Ride for Sight.

Spoke to the same dude 3 times. Won't Name and shame as I am not 100% sure of the number, but it was D group and he had a well known top. The one with red, black, yellow and white in a zigzag pattern. Lots of blue as well. Unfortunately I did not see the club name as his number covered it. Another guy dropped one, and when I spoke to him, he said sorry, he was not thinking. Then later I saw him put his gel wrapper in his pocket.

So talking does work! Start off politely and voila!

I have been using the little bottles you get with the whasp gel. Works perfectly and unless your gel is very thick, there is no reason why any gel cannot be decanted into these bottles.

A suggestion for race pack goodie bags. Put one or two of these into them and give a message to put the gel into them?

little1, I thank you for your efforts! Litter is an ever-growing issue. Maybe it's always been bad, but at least it used to be cleaned up. That is beside the point though. Littering is filthy, and to that organisers lame excuse, "creating jobs": if you're not part of the solution(keeping your environment tidy) you're part of the problem. I bet she would be the first to complain about the potholes on the roads not realising that her gel packet clogs up the drainage, creating pools on the road, accelerating the development of potholes.

Anyway, as a person of such "importance" she should be shamed. We need to hold those that are in positions of responsibility accountable for their actions! They may not forget that they have a responsibility towards those that they are serving.

TRASH! MAKES ME MAD!!!

But perhaps some background first?
I had the pleasure of riding one of the best local races on Sunday in KZN. What a fantastic day' date=' perfect weather, good turn out and as always a great ride. I decided to take it easy having not been on my bike properly for 6 weeks or so. I was really enjoying just being on my bike and riding. But then it happened, the MOST DISGUSTING thing... a cyclist in front of me threw their empty gel packet into the grass on the side of the road Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

"Oi!!" i shouted "put it in your pocket!"
"oh please" was the response, "mumble mumble"
"Pardon" i said as i rode up alongside... to realise this was on of the organisers of the race!!!!!
"You have pockets to put your trash in"
"Please, i'm creating employment"
"No you are not you are merely creating litter!" At this point i am fuming and doing everything in me to not swear at this stupid.... Censored
"Who do you think you're talking to little miss?"
"A DISGUSTING PERSON who uses the world as their personal trash can!"

AngryAngryAngryAngry

By now I am so angry with her disregard for :
a) the environment which is limited
b) the community who live in the area and the fact that she feels she can just throw trash wherever
c) the fact that as an organiser she SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!!

So I decided that today I would get FURIOUS with the issue not the person (clearly she is not worth it!)

HUBBERS please, your kit gets gross, from sweat and dirt form the road / track etc a bit of gel is not going to make any difference!!!

I BEG OF YOU ALL TO PLEASE:
a) respect the community who are allowing us access to their roads / tracks etc
b) respect our environment which is so limited.
c) support races that support recycling, or encourage race organisers to create employment by partnering with recyclers, who can collect from us at the end of the race

BUT most importantly

STASH YOUR TRASH!!! Star

Angry [/quote']

Without making this a racial thing but...was she black? The reason I ask is I had to reprimand 2 of my employees for littering on my primises and the excuse of the " creating employment" was also used. I mean how small a brain do u have to say that. Do they not get it that they dont pick it up in the townships so why the hell will they pick it up there????

Exclusive im with you, but you cant really make such a comment in sa without it becomming a racial issue, believe me.

At uni. anything I say is viewed in that manner if its negative and viola, im a racist, but wait we can always blame apartheid for everything, so no worries theres an excuse already !