buying advice in the R20k-R30k mtb market

shorty101

i just went through a similar process' date=' and personally liked the Specialized Stumpjumper comp, great components bar the tyres, beautiful looking bike, I lreally like the brand and have been really happy with my 2007 stumpy,  and you can pick up a brand new one from Dunkeld Cycles for around R24k. If he was going to ride it harder there is also the Specialized enduro, but they will be able to give him better advice than me.

[/quote']SmileTongueWink< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

XC : Giant Anthem X2

More aggressive trail riding: Trance X2

I ride the Anthem X2, which is tough enough for a bit of trail riding without feeling heavy when going XC.

The other bikes mentioned here are are fine too, but bang for buck, the Giants are tops.

Check out the Scott Saprk 35 (dual)for sale on the hub.2009 model.U cannot go wrong.

I have the 30 and excellent bikes.Good value for money,and also good 2nd hand value.

I agree with Vivster - Commencal Meta 5.5. Biased, of course, as I ride one. But it's awesome. I think the latest Bicycling mag has an article on the best all-rounders. Describes the Commencal perfectly. Fun to ride!

He needs to go ride a couple of the bikes mentioned above and get feel for each bike.

Everyone here has a favourite brand/model that fits their specific body dimensions.

I personally have had this past year a Silverback Mercury 1, Santa Cruz Chameleon and currently have a Specialized Stumpjumper - the most comfortable and fun bike so far. I have also ridden a Trek Fuel Ex9, and an Anthem X1 which just did not feel right for me and I was happy to get back on my specialized.

The point is.....it is trail and error until you find that perfect fit, so he should ride as many bikes as he can and make his own personal informed decision.

I clearly did not follow my own advice and felt it physically and in my pocket! Clap genius i tell you!
Chubba2010-03-04 05:31:35

If this guy is going to ride the bike hard and put it through it's paces, he should ride a Trance X (or similar "Trail" bike) as apposed to an Anthem X. He'll have way more fun on that, than a XC machine.

Besides, if he rides MX and is used to going fast, doing gaps and not stopping for anything thats in his way, Balls-to-the-wall style, then he needs to get a bike that suits that type of mindset, a trail bike.

IMO, I think he might pull a XC bike through it's ass.

thanks for all your advice. He's read the thread and found it extremely helpful. He's decided to go for the 2010 Trek EX8 if they have it in his size. Apparently there isn't a single 19" in the country in which case I think the dealer is going to work out a special deal on the EX9 that they have in stock.

In the process myself.  So far the best value for money seems to be Merida One-twenty HFS 1000D. (the south African version) Full XT + Hayes discs + Fox suspension parts. R21k

He needs to go ride a couple of the bikes mentioned above and get feel for each bike.

<snip>

Everyone here has a favourite brand/model that fits their specific body dimensions.

This is very good advice.

Price and specs are factors too, but you need to feel comfortable on the bike.

Test ride as many as possible.

The bike will choose you...

thanks for all your advice. He's read the thread and found it extremely helpful. He's decided to go for the 2010 Trek EX8 if they have it in his size. Apparently there isn't a single 19" in the country in which case I think the dealer is going to work out a special deal on the EX9 that they have in stock.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's good enough for Lance is not always good enough for YOU!!...Angry...

First Choice: PM Ngala for the Chumba.....Clap

Second: Rad006's Titus Motolite....Clap

bak2basiks2010-03-10 03:57:38