Cape Argus organisation anti-climax

capeofstorms

All I'm saying' date=' is that I,ve seen better crowd support at the two oceans and comrades[/quote']

Thats quite a slap in the face to those that did come to support. It was my first Argus, but I have lived in Cape Town for most of my life so was expecting some support.

Well the crowds just blew me away, everybody was so amped, people from the township near Kommetjie were going off. In Hout Bay, bystanders spraying me with their hoses, offering me beer and water. Supporters screaming encouragement, for hours on end all along the route. I absolutely loved it!

Thanks so much to those supporters that came to share in the experience, you guys make this race great, and your support was thoroughly appreciated!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The crowds were not as big as previous years, but given the wind you can understand that. They were better than last year for sure, but as always, hugely supportive regardless. Thanks Cpt.

What does suck is the finish. For at least 5 years (memory doesn't work well beyond that) we have had to cross a screwed up, stone ridden veld to get to the drinks and medal tables. Cleats and shoes cost good money and are not inteded to be walked on. Its not like this is a MTB event. With all the money Cpt makes out of the event (estimated at R400m) even if the organisers and the city cannot put down an acceptable permanent paved surface because of construction or whatever other excuse they plan to use next year, they could at least invest in rubber mats and let their street sweeping trucks give the place a once over the night before. The same applies to 94.7, although it was better this year.

On the positive side, other than one pothole near 12 Appostles hotel, the roads were in good shape (if a little rough in patches).

I expected more crowd support along the road

?

There was huge support on route compared to the last few years. People were there to see Lance and Darryl.

I thought the crowds would have turned up to just see you?

Guest colonel

They did but I didnt want to make the Church of Lance followers all upset.

Yeah, that dustbowl at the end always upsets my shiny Sidi shoes.   smiley17.gif

The organisation was just fine - to safely shepherd 35.000 across the Peninsula is one helluva feat.

The finish was a little chaotic, but given the construction work happening in the area, I guess there wasn't too much choice.  Although, I bet Lance didn't have to push his bike through a construction site after he finished...  Wink

Support was great, particularly with the wind.  My favourite chirp I heard was going up Boyes, and a young blonde lady on the side of the road was jumping up and down shouting, "You're looking good, you're looking good!"  Somewhere from within the pack a gruff voice said, "So are you, so are you!"  

This was my first Argus.  Lived in Cape Town most of my life but was always a bit scared of the numbers of participants.

I must say it was awesome to see how well the event is played out. The organising that went into this event is amaizing.  And of course the people who came to support the riders. Will definately be there next year!

Pity that they only stocked Castle lite, I was so loking forward to a Millers or an Amstel or even a Castle Lager.

One positive for me is that I saw a lot less accidents than in my previous Argus rides.  Only saw one guy being taken away by Ambulance on Chappies. 

Crowd was awesome especially Suikerbossie.  I got an ice lollies, couple of good soakings and loads of encourgement.  I went through more than 4 hours after the Lance group so even if they were just there to see Lance, well done to the supporters for staying there for the rest of us.

Oh and the number of supporters there for the Elites was less than when I went through (tape the whole 5 hours). 

I also enjoyed the number of people dressed up for the world cup.  Nice to see the spirit starting.  My fav was the Bafana Bafance tandem.  Crowd loved them to.

Correct, but after that ride would have even drunk Budweiser if I had to. Nothing like a cold beer after a day on the bike!

I herded the backmarkers into the finish!!

What's amazing was that even at ~15:30 the entire route was still lined with spectators / supported unwavering in the vocal support!! Although one could see that they were in the sun drinking beer all day long!!

There cannot be any complaints about any facet of this event -given the number of participants - road closres - etc.

just great vibe - all over....THE WHOLE DAY!!

Well done - cyclists and spectators alike!!

@ capeof storms... did you know that 99% of cyclists are loosers?  Yes thats right.  99% percent of us will not be the first to cross the finish line on any given sunday.  That does not stop us.  That does not bother us.  We will keep training.  We will keep trying.  And we will not moan about crowd support while doing the biggest timed cycling event in the world.  We will not moan about medals for finishing #24890 on the day. 

Congratulations and genuine thanks to all the organisers, sponsors, marshalls and supporters. We are lucky to be able to ride in such an event.

Was my first Argus, the crowd support was incredible, the spirit was good-natured, there aren't enough superlatives to describe the vibe!!!