Cape Argus organisation anti-climax

capeofstorms

@ capeof storms... did you know that 99% of cyclists are loosers?  Yes thats right.  99% percent of us will not be the first to cross the finish line on any given sunday.  That does not stop us.  That does not bother us.  We will keep training.  We will keep trying.  And we will not moan about crowd support while doing the biggest timed cycling event in the world.  We will not moan about medals for finishing #24890 on the day. 

Damn right! My first Argus and this was the hardest ride of my short cycling career so far. The first 50km knocked the stuffing out of me but the crowd kept me going! Got my number taken away at the top of suikerbossie! Did I quit...NO! Carried on to the end, no medals, but I am one of only 28,000 peope that can say I completed the Argus.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was my 1st Argus as well, what an awesome experience!!! Most beautiful scenery one can ask for and crowd support to match.This will be penned into my calender for many years to come...

I remember the days when there were 3 radio stations making a mood on Suikerbossie alone. That was missing this year. The rest of the course was par for the course. I couldnt help but smile whan a lone lady somewhere on Chapmans Peak enthusiatically shouted for us to stratch that damn chain. it too short! Priceless!!

All I'm saying' date=' is that I,ve seen better crowd support at the two oceans and comrades[/quote']

Running races are normally slower and shorter and you can hear the cheers longer. The support was great for me as I ride slower than you.

Damn right! My first Argus and this was the hardest ride of my short cycling career so far. The first 50km knocked the stuffing out of me but the crowd kept me going! Got my number taken away at the top of suikerbossie! Did I quit...NO! Carried on to the end' date=' no medals, but I am one of only 28,000 peope that can say I completed the Argus.

[/quote']

wow slysi, well done - hoping you'll be back next year to get that medal???

i know i said it 1000 times already - but isn't misty cliffs just THE best bit of the ride??  and what about that bit just after the top of smits ...  or that final few kays after suikerbossie - the boyes drive detour - or the blue route -  or chappies - anything before or after that, really

crowd support always used to be the best on Suikerbossie prior to the "detour" , i remember the crowds being all the way to the top. after the 2 years of the detour, crowds there seem to be thinner but with more people on small suikerbossie where a few restaraunts have sprung up. also noticed a much larger crowd at the "kink" in the run in to the finish.

i know i said it 1000 times already - but isn't misty cliffs just THE best bit of the ride??  and what about that bit just after the top of smits ...  or that final few kays after suikerbossie - the boyes drive detour - or the blue route -  or chappies - anything before or after that' date=' really
[/quote']

The downhills are definitely most finishers' favourites. Misty Cliffs, Chappies and Suikerbossie home make for some of the best scenery you are likely to experience on a cycle race anywhere.

This was my first Argus too, and I can't agree with your observations.  I found it to be very well organised and loved the support along the whole route.  I can't understand why it isn't rated as SA's top race.  

This was my first Argus too' date=' and I can't agree with your observations.  I found it to be very well organised and loved the support along the whole route.  I can't understand why it isn't rated as SA's top race.  

[/quote']

Try doing the Kremetart, then you will know.WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

This was my first Argus too' date=' and I can't agree with your observations.  I found it to be very well organised and loved the support along the whole route.  I can't understand why it isn't rated as SA's top race.  

[/quote']

Try doing the Kremetart, then you will know.WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

aaaww sylvester that's not fair - nothing can compare to kremetart.

oh no let me rephrase: no ROAD ride can compare to kremetart!

cat-i2010-03-18 11:57:52