Dumbass MTBers

manbearpig

Guest coenie

We are all t%sers on our bikes' date=' road or mtb or in our cars, every now and then.

It doesnt help our cause with motorists to behave in a seemingly unsafe manner especially in SA where motorists are bundles of road rage waiting for an outlet.

I have just stuck the big yellow "Think Bike" sticker on my wagon and its a good reminder to me every time I see it...
[/quote']

Well said....

Alas there is no cure for dumbassness - a dumbass is a dumbass regardless of what wheels he/she is on...

We should stop relying on the fact that motorists will see us and make way. You just need one guy on his cellphone, or whatever, to not pay attention and we have more casualties.

Assume that everyone on the road is a complete idiot... for your own safety!

We should stop relying on the fact that motorists will see us and make way. You just need one guy on his cellphone' date=' or whatever, to not pay attention and we have more casualties.

Assume that everyone on the road is a complete idiot... for your own safety![/quote']

This is a fine message and should go beyond cycling - drive like everyone else is an idiot. I've had more than a few occassions where I've taken measures to avoid an accident before the other party had realised there was a problem - it may or may not has actually resulted in an accident but hey prevention is way better than cure.

That is exactly the problem! These idiots think they do not have to make way for oncoming cyclists!

Well this is not something you are going to fix with direction. It's a mentality and these are most probably the same guys who ride 5 abreast' date=' go upstream on a single track and fart while peeing.
[/quote']

'n pi$ sonder 'n poep, is soos 'n huis sonder 'n stoep.

The only dumbass thing I've done on a mtb is on my way to work sometimes when I used to ride very slowly behind some "locals" on the foot paths and give them a fright (by shouting "Ayoba!!!!") or something like that, but the reaction I got from them was actually quite funny.

We should stop relying on the fact that motorists will see us and make way. You just need one guy on his cellphone' date=' or whatever, to not pay attention and we have more casualties.

Assume that everyone on the road is a complete idiot... for your own safety![/quote']

This is a fine message and should go beyond cycling - drive like everyone else is an idiot. I've had more than a few occassions where I've taken measures to avoid an accident before the other party had realised there was a problem - it may or may not has actually resulted in an accident but hey prevention is way better than cure.

Agree 100% with these comments.  Always expect the worst from everyone on SA roads, but do not judge each other even before something happens.