Which Heart Rate moniter/Computer?

agentgreen

Which in your opinion is the better?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which in your opinion is the better?

• Garmin Edge 500
    • Polar cs600

The Edge 500 is super compatible with power meters, but Let's NOT consider Power meters in this poll, as they are freakin' expensive and i'm not a pro!

cs600 is enough. can even go for the cs400 or even cs200. Garmin can have too much info - some of us dont want all that.

What do you want out of it ?

Obvious

Normal stuff - like oddo, speed etc

Extra

Heart rate

Cadance

Power meter

GPS giving you Plotting / route profile / altitude etc.

For me Heart rate is enough, cadence also help. If you don't know how to train with power and all the other extras then I'd say its useless.

I hate Polar - no mac support and that audio data transfer gimmick reminds me of my zx spectrum tape drive.

yeah i've seen many people complain on international forums about the mac compatibility...

luckily i'm a mere mortal and would rather spend the pittance i make on bikes than on a mac!

I hate Polar - no mac support and that audio data transfer gimmick reminds me of my zx spectrum tape drive.

The CS600 uses IRDA so not sonic link...

It's easy to use and gives you everything you could ever need on a bike and more.

Battery life on a Polar was the deciding factor for me. I know I would go for a ride and have the Garmin konk out on me if I had one. Polar the way to go Thumbs%20Up

Garmin 500Polar CS600
PriceR2500 (CRC)R2800 (CRC)
SpeedGPSSensor on Fork
CadenceSensor at back or Power meterSensor on frame
AltitudeYesYes
HRYesYes
PowerANT+ compatible (Pwrtap, SRM, Quarq)Only Polar - BAD setup and difficult
SoftwareAverageGood
RSA SupportDon't knowVery good
ScreenTidy with 8 info slotsScattered all over the place.
Bracket to bike1 month with no problemsBracket breaks.  Unit rattles after a while
DownloadUSBInfrared (Extra H/W required)
Cool StuffCan map rides.Looks nice
BatteryRechargeableCan replace self (R30 each)

Garmin 500Polar CS600
PriceR2500 (CRC)R2800 (CRC)
SpeedGPSSensor on Fork
CadenceSensor at back or Power meterSensor on frame
AltitudeYesYes
HRYesYes
PowerANT+ compatible (Pwrtap, SRM, Quarq)Only Polar - BAD setup and difficult
SoftwareAverageGood
RSA SupportDon't knowVery good
ScreenTidy with 8 info slotsScattered all over the place.
Bracket to bike1 month with no problemsBracket breaks.  Unit rattles after a while
DownloadUSBInfrared (Extra H/W required)
Cool StuffCan map rides.Looks nice
BatteryRechargeableCan replace self (R30 each)

Based on the above the Polar looks expensive.   I had the Forerunner 305 (until the Argus when it came off my handlebar and is sitting somewhere around Misty Cliffs!) and having the GPS functionality is great to look back at where you were riding etc.  Can't say I ever used the maps, virtual partner, route points but being able to load it all up into SportsTracks is great. 

The Edge 500 looks much better value and even though I don't have a power meter (yet) it gives you options...  In a couple of months Metrigear will release their power meter in SpeedPlay pedals.  They're targetting under $1000 which is very affordable - the pedals alone would cost you a few grand.

Has anyone had any bad experience with the Edge 500?

Good summary by Spinnerkop, i've heard the Edge 500's bracket is better than the 305/705, Garmins service is also sometimes lacking but they have numerous service depots whereas Polar everything is centralized in Midrand.

maddox have not had my 500 very long but so far cant fault it I am very very impressed with it very user friendly and easy to set up

love the flexibility of being able to customise 3 seperate data screens with the info you want to see

So far I cant say anything bad about it have not tested battery life but the guide claims 18 hours on a single charge

Bracket works well and with the rubber back pad and bands it looks like it should be trouble free comes with a extra mount as well and enough bands to last forever

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the Polar for 4 months and have already turfed the GPS. If there is cloud cover, or even in shady areas, the GPS loses the satellite. Its highly frustrating and I now just rely on a standard Cateye for distance. It does have a very good HRM. The fact that it isn't compatible with Mac should be a deal breaker for Apple fans.