The officially unofficial Garmin thread

Weight Weenie

Other than basic functionality i really want it for training and fitness improvement. only ride mtb but also only recently started so cost vs necessity/ functions i may not use (initially anyway). recommendations? tx!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok if you want only speed and distance get the cheapest wired job you can.

If you want to train more one with heart rate is needed (so you can stay in certain zones etc) so then  get a model that does that, or get a suunto or polar watch with bike mounts if you swim or run or gym with it as well. 

After that you can get cadence and the ability to download and analyze a workout.  I still use cadence on an mtb although some say its useless, otherwise I find myself pushing big gears at low cadence and tiring quicker.  For the downloads its good if you have a coach so he can view your data or can give you a workout to load onto the device or if you are working with a training book like I am then you can load workouts from it and do then in your HR zones etc. 

Then comes the gps and power meter functions.  Power meters are the best training method but you must REALLY be serious as it is a big outlay.

The nice part of garmin and other ant compatible units are that they can display the power meter data and all the speed and other stuff so only one unit is needed.  Good for forward compatability if you might buy a power meter.  GPS wise you dont need the edge 705 with the maps unless you go exploring in remote areas you dont know, as the edge 500 has the same function in a smaller and cheaper unit, thats why I chose it. 

And do shop online, I saved about R2000 from local retail from buying overseas, but sa web prices are also good with the security of local backup

Tx WW! I think i'm going to go with the Edge 500. Superior features to the CS200, and other forums ppl rate it better, upgrade a no-brainer for most. Family in the UK at the mo so will hopefully bring back at the end of the week. Would rather outlay a bit more now and possibly have features i won't use initially then be cheap and have to purchase/ upgrade later.

Thanks for the advice!

My pleasure, its not cheap but I've come to the conclusion from reviews that if you want an all in one unit the garmin is the best. 

Just to be clear, the 500 does not have maps like a car gps, although you can make/load tracks and follow them with a line and an arrow for direction.  car type maps only on the 705, but doubt anyone needs that...

the 500 is fully featured, works with allot of software and theres good support from garmin with updates and issues.  The new firmware is sweet  and isnt giving hassles.  And if I ever get a power meter i can still use it.

Also the whole unit is made for the bike, the strap, the mount, the cadence mounts all just work like they should with no faffing.  The device itself is easy to use if you can operate electronics like your cellphone, but the software side does take a bit of learning as there are many options.

Look at sports track as its free and training peaks for loading onto the web.  The garmin stuff does not come with the device but does not bring out the best in the device anyway as it does not work with all the data.

Do take the hr/cadence kit its cheaper in a bundle and try get it from crc, they are cheaper than wiggle and evans in the uk so cant see reatail there being cheaper than the web ?

I bought a Edge 500 on Friday and used it for the first time in the Wilro on Sunday. I am loving it.

I can't wait top go on my regular training routes and get some proper information from them. I did have a cadence issue but I think it just has to do with where the unit is on my bike.

I am looking for a training programme that includes the Garmin data though, like the Polar personal Trainer webiste. i know that i could get many but it would be cool if it was all-in-one.

J

@WW - tx again, my sentiments exactly. Family in UK at the mo can pick up the bundle Edge 500 for around R1800 less on CRC then buying locally, hence why decision is a little easier to spend the extra Big%20smile. New firmware sounds like resolved a couple of the niggling issues. Now will just have to wait for the ash to clear in order to get them and the unit back!

@BBJ - glad you like it and tx for the review. If you find an AiO package let me know, would be equally keen.

If one buys the Edge 500 from chainreactioncycles, I assume one cannot send it to a local agent for repairs.

Also there a numerous reports on the web about the screen being difficult to read. I read the comments on this thread that it is not the case. Can anyone back this up? 

I am using an edge 705 and it seems to be getting looser and looser on the mount. Has anyone experienced this problem and do they have a solution to it.