Commuting

The solution is rolling your shirt up as stated.  Also don't pack the night before.  If your stuff does crease this is easily smoothed out if it has only been developing for an hour or so. 

Leave work shoes and a couple pairs of trousers at work (you can wear the same trousers during a week).  The all you have to carry is shirt socks and underwear.  Get one of those lighweight hiking towels from Outdoor Warehouse or similar.

I drive in Mondays and drive home on Fridays, and just leave my trousers and shoes in the car.  Good solution if your office parking is safe and you want to be able to drive around at lunchtime.

You'll find if you ride when the traffic is very heavy that it is easier to get around particularly near the Rondebosch/Kenilworth area.  Heavy traffic means motorists are trapped and can't do something stupid.

Also riding with a bag on your back means you feel 5-10kg lighter (because you are) when you ride on the weekends.

Thanks linnega! I didn't think about leaving trousers and shoes in the office during the week. Makes good sense. Some days I need a long sleeve shirt, other days I should hopefully be able to get away with a collared gholf shirt! I suppose the same is for your toiletry bag. Just leave soap / shampoo / deo at the office..

I used to bring clean close in every day but left a pair of shoes and jacket at the office. I work in jeans and T so rolling it up was not a problem.

My route is in Jo'burg. All the way from the West Rand to Houghton. It's about a 18km trip each way.

mine works out at 18.2km each way - from boskruin to braamfontein

rolling clothes is definately the way to go... any slight creases come out if you hang the stuff up in the sauna while you shower smileys/smiley2.gif

I do almost the opposite route to you fatty. Plumstead --> Century City. I only ride Tuesday -> Thursday and take all my clothes in on a Monday and bring them home on the Friday, you can go to the gym on Mondays and Fridays if you are desperate to train everyday. I don't ride in the dark though too dangerous even with lights.

I vary the route so it can range from 17km -> 35km each way. Takes 40mins to 1hr 20mins depending on wind, distance and traffic lights.

How do you traverse the dreaded Pinelands section? My only worry is from the end of Koeberg rd to Rondebosch common.

FC wrote

>the dreaded Pinelands section

?? I often ride to work in Pinelands (from Kenwyn) and the biggest problems I've encountered have been everywhere BUT Pinelands. I think you may be referring to Alexandra Rd, running past Maitland Garden Village and Vincent Pallotti. Nothing particularly worrying there. And the short hop from Pinelands along Raapenburg Rd is fine, but remember to keep checking over your right shoulder as you get to the M5, even if -- make that particularly if -- you ride in the bike lane. I was nearly taken out there by a turning car whose driver decided that I wasn't going left to Red Cross after all.

In my view the worst part of your ride will be the bit of the M5 between Rugby and Maitland. I've ridden Paarden Eiland-Pinelands during rush hour and it's hairy. In fact it's hairy most times.

Positive points to be gained from all the above: you'll be riding past provincial ambulance HQ, with a choice of two hospitals (if you talk in a high-pitched voice you might sneak into Red Cross).

I think you may be referring to Alexandra Rd' date=' running past Maitland Garden Village and Vincent Pallotti.

In my view the worst part of your ride will be the bit of the M5 between Rugby and Maitland. I've ridden Paarden Eiland-Pinelands during rush hour and it's hairy. In fact it's hairy most times.[/quote'] Thats exactly the section of road I was worried about. Not very far, but just worried how dangerous it might be during the morning and afternoon. I know of one work colleague who was mugged in Pinelands before, and one Sunday on the way back from Stellenbosch we ran in to a roaming bunch of around 10 kids 'of previously disadvantaged community' right by the Mutual Park traffic lights... We just took an alternate route and got the hell out of their way. No need to invite a mugging smileys/smiley5.gif

I've done Koeberg rd quite a few times from Claremont on my way to Wednesday Killarney in the afternoon, and if you just have to ride defensively and watch how cars behave. I haven't had any close calls yet, but maybe just crossing the M5, and then going down through Paarden Eiland might be a better idea, even if it is a few km's extra. Good training in any case smileys/smiley1.gif

From Century City --> Plumstead

Ratanga Road, Bosmandam Road, Koberg Road, Koberg Interchange, Klipfontain exit, round Rondebosch common (could go down Milner Road and Rosmead)and onto Liesbek Parkway, then selct if I go down the main road (short) or up to Constantia Nek (long). 

Going the other way I get onto the M5 at the at the N2 junction from Liesbek Parkway. I do this as the klipfontain junction is an accident waiting to happen. Rosmead is fine as is milner road. I also use the off and on ramps on the M5 at junctions rather than riding accross the turn offs (where possible).

I have had a couple of near misses but enjoy the ride.

Dirt-Rider,

Van waar in Centurion ry julle ? (en watter tye ? en watter dae ? en tot waar in Sandton ?)

MTB - met watter roete ?