Buying my 1st mountain bike

CAM16

First time user. I am looking for advice on buying my 1st mountain bike. I am a roadie and hence, I am clueless wrt mountain biking. I am prepared to spend R5000 and would like to know what is the best value for my buck so to speak. Could anybody help me

Yes I have seen some good second hand deals on the hub, buying second hand you will get much more for your money and once you are into the sport you can always get a better new bike when you know what type of riding you enjoy and what type of bike you need for that.

My 1 cent worth!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

You can even look on gumtree or go see Avron at Cycle Traders 0214480812 in <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Salt River .He will give you some great advice and has 2nd hand bikes for sale.

Do not buy new, just wasting your money.

Look for a bike with a good light frame, that way you can always upgrade components at a later stage.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=82123

I would say this bike is a very good deal if you ride a 17.5" frame. You will not get a new bike for even close to the same spec if I was buying my fist bike and was looking new or second hand around R5000 the Scott woud be mine.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

sell your road bike and get yourself something you are really going to enjoy.....!!!!

once you have an MTB, you'll forget you used to enjoy the tarmac.....

but hey, i get up on da plaas.....