MTB Tyres

mtgoat

Hi Guys, I need some help here. I am new MTB (just bought a Merida HFS 1000 D) running Schwalbe Rocket Ron tyres. The rolling resistance seems really high and would like advise on what to look at for the future. Currently spending time in Tokai and on Table Mountain and hoping to do some races once the confidence is up. ThanksClap

A Continental Mountain King on front and a Race King on the rear. Best combo Ive ever ridden.

I second that, loving my set at the moment, if you are running tubeless remember to get your pressures right, the race king slides like a mamba if you running it too hard.

The same, but I've got the 2.4 Mountain King on the front. Whooo-hooo it's nice :)

Seriously though check your tyre pressures. Harder is not better on a mountainbike. Aim for anywhere from 25-35 psi and experiment a little.

I doubt your rolling resistance is any higher than average. RR is a function of rubber thickness and to a lesser extent, rubber type. On average, thread thickness is the same and rubber similar, so RR will be in a range where you cannot feel a difference. Exceptions to this rule of thumb will be tyres with long spiky knobblies vs tyres with large blocks. Given the same rubber type and thread thickness, the latter will have less RR.

Isn't the Rocket Ron a fairly race orientated tyre?

If that feels like its got high rolling Resistance, anything with a bigger tread will feel like a herd of turtles through a sea of peanut butter...

Tyre presure makes the bigest notaceble defarence. I have rocket rons and run them at 1.8 bar. lower than recomended but then the extra tracsion is the reason behind it.

running Schwalbe Rocket Ron tyres. The rolling resistance seems really high and would like advise on what to look at for the future.

Got my FLX3500 with Rocket Ron's. As for Rolling resistance they're much better than you think. The Rocket Ron's if I recall correctly are a 2.0 profile, a little narrow for true all round MTB'ing (traction lacking on rocky/loose climbs), but very fast. I ride Mtn King (Front) and Race King (rear) 2.2 profile, these are heavier tyres and the rolling resistance is increased (but good all round tyres) - I hazard to say noticable difference (avg. speed and general feel). The other beauty of the Rocket Ron's is they are very light! The bike just feels more nimble with them.