Bike Import Duties

Li Mu Bai

Hi,

Does anyone know what the import duties are on having a complete bike shipped in from the UK.

I know on parts its 15.5% VAT but never brought in a complete bike, and since its proving almost impossible to buy a Track bike locally at a decent price I need to ship one in.

thanks

15% duty on complete bikes and then VAT on top of that so effectively 17.5% VAT ([price + 10% plus duty] x 14%)

your reply is very confusing

If the bike costs R4000, the it would be:

R4000 + 15% duty + 14%VAT?

which is R4000 + R600 + R644?

whats the 'effectively 17.5%'? and whats the 10% in your formula ([price + 10% plus duty]x 14%)?

Rock, how is the shipping cost factored into the whole equation?

Surely when the duty calculation is done it is on the value of the bike and excludes the shipping cost? This is a third party service fee and does not add value to the product?

been trolling previous discussions on this and found the following from ngala24

Duty = value x percentage

Vat = (Value +10% + duty) x 14%

Any reason why 10% is added to the vat calculation, or is that just how it is, take it or leave it?

Thats just the way it is - hahaha! Sometimes you get charged this fee and sometimes not!

Its almost like a handling fee - depends on shipper and or clearing agent.

Can you not bring the bike in as bits and pieces, cos then there are no import duties on seperate parts ie. bike spares.

bits and pieces would mean seperate shipping parcels (extra costs), because if the spares in one box will make a full bike, then its duty time.

Any reason why 10% is added to the vat calculation' date=' or is that just how it is, take it or leave it?
[/quote']

It's called an "upliftment charge" You don't pay that amount, the value of the good is increased by 10% when calculating the VAT.