Tips for a new MTBer

JohnQ

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just dont forget which brake lever is for the front brake!! (aparently this is different on a mtb compared to a road bike)

Not true, the brakes on both versions of a human powered vehicle is where you want them to be. But yes, make sure you know which side is which.

Wash and lube your bike yourself, start with small repairs like setting gears. If something doesn`t look or feel right, find out why. You can do most of your own repairs with R 400.00 worth of tools. Build up your tool box gradually.

Check your drive train for wear and replace cables every once in the winter and twice in summer months. Learn to DIY - Preventative maintenance and know-how is the key. Like puberty is come with time, but its worth it!

REAL mtb'ers wear baggys

?

?

Agreed Wink

then I hope you guys ride real mountains on real mountain bikes. Not HT or 100mm bikes on dirt roads.

LOL Mamparra I go to JHB quite often haven seen a real mountain there yet :P

And the answer would be yes people wearing baggy's do ride real mountain bikes on real mountain's :) We just dont displya squished nuts to the rest of the world :D

#1. Ride till your lungs burn, recover, ride till your lungs burn, recover...

#2. Hardtails are quicker than Duelies. Even when going downhill. No objections will be heard in this regard, I've experienced it on my own 2 wheels.

#3. Just tube it. Tubeless wheels are pigs, they burp and mess everywhere.

#4. Mud destroys expensive drivetrains quicker.

#5. Only wear a cycle shirt if you need more pockets to carry stuff. Old T-shirts and baggies are the real MTB gear.

#6. It's not how you stand by your bike, it's how you ride your bike, you better remember that.

full finger gloves. Thumbs%20Up

Whats the benefit of full finger gloves' date=' protection against the cold?

[/quote']

Or not...20100506_092459_Finger.jpg

Without being daft.... (bada bing), here are some learnings that I have accumulated over the years...

1)  Look at the line you want to ride, not the rock or hole you do not want to ride into;

2)  Speed is only your friend if you are totally committed.

3)  Have a quick release seatclamp, and if faced with a really steep and technical descent, rather stop drop your seat and drop like a stone.  Once you have got that dialled, you will be able to descend with your seat up better.

4)  Don't brake in the middle of a corner.  It straightens the bike out.  Remember, slower in faster out.

5)  Relax those hands.  A deathgrip on the bars gives no control and causes arm pump on longer descents.

6)  Clean your mechanicals regularly.  Sand and mud are heavily abrasive.

7)  Learn to trust your equipment.  There is a hell of alot of technology in those shocks and forks.

8)  It's not always about pace, but there is also no better feeling than pinning it on a flowy trail.

9)  Be courteous on the trail.  Don't piss off the other trail users too often.

10)  Yield if you see me coming the other way (especially if I'm descending) Big%20smile

11)  Love the riding, always.

Welcome to the future of cycling....