Tips for a new MTBer

JohnQ

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know. When I still used bar ends, I used them on my risers.

I think it gives you a too upright position and makes you look like a funrider, because you're not in a racing position.

That's if you buy into the whole "look" thing

I also ditched my bar ends after my funride days at Koeberg and Majik.

And also after I untangled myself from the thickets

Nevermind what the style police have to say here - bar ends dont quite feel right on swept back risers - cant quite wrap your hands around them properly ... thats my verdict anyway after giving that configuration a try.? What I like about bar ends is a bit relief on a ?long ride being able to move your hands around a bit, and helps when you want something to grip when laying on the power. Good for rutting as well.?

Stuff all the poncy style advice, just get out there and enjoy it, thats all MTB is about. Who cares what you look like when you are miles from anything, you should be covered in mud anyway.

Regarding cages. just make sure the bottle you use fits the cage you use, some are just not designed to fit and will fall out very easily.

Use your current wheels and tyres and a tubeless conversion system like stans, shops will milk you and say that you must have tubeless tyres and rims to go tubeless, thats total BS !!! Yes UST wheels and tyres will give less hassles and I;d recommend it if you are a heavy oke or doing long races like EPic or Attakwas, but for 99% or people the conversion will work fine.

Also get a co2 inflator and a co2 canister or 2 (16g threaded) its much faster and less PT than strugling with a mini pump and breaking off valves etc. 

Get sized properly as road bikes are in cm and mtb's usually inches or Small, medium etc.  Also get a bike fit done if you can. 

Hi,

Unlike on the road, take time out to enjoy the view and enjoy the people on you will meet in the dirt.

Regards

Sarge