Tips for a new MTBer

JohnQ

Take a week, go riding without a HR monitor, OROS in your water bottle, and without the Oakley shades, and go ride like a kid - bunnyhop, ride down stairs, up curbs, etc - just go nuts.

Two reasons,

1.  A easy way to get comfy on the bike and helps with those little skills you'll need. 

2.  You'll realise why so many people ride mountain bike, and what we've all forgotten since we were 10, just the joy of riding a bike.

Thumbs%20Up

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

full finger gloves. Thumbs%20Up

Whats the benefit of full finger gloves, protection against the cold?

Dont fit your racetec chip to the front wheel, rather strap  it to your leg.  Lost mine on the 2nd race.  Probably too much tension on the chip mount during the downhills.

I'm also a newbie, but there are three things I can vouch for:

1. Gravity's a myth - the earth sucks! Especially on steep climbs when you're more than a bit overweight like I am.

2. No more hiding in the bunch to save yourself! It's all up to you, your ability and the terrain.

3. There's no weather forecast. MTBers know how to have fun come rain, hail, snow, mud, heat, or whatever Mother Nature can throw at us. 
flymango2010-05-03 17:08:27

Dont fit your racetec chip to the front wheel' date=' rather strap  it to your leg.  Lost mine on the 2nd race.  Probably too much tension on the chip mount during the downhills.

[/quote']

couple of things here mate,

1.  Yes they do help with the cold

2.  Once you get introduced to terra firma full fingered gloves protect your whole hand with open fingeres you tend to get your hands schredded.

3.  I find where the fingers are cut off it restrictrs bloodflow and presses on my nerves and my hands ended up going so numb at stages i couldnt move my fingers to switch gears or hit the breaks.

Advice is buy a pair of full gloves where the padding is not too obtrusive.

Put the peak back on your helmet tjop! And if you're gonna race go flat out until you blow then try survive till the end....

Brown stuff is not always mud.

Ja, and cow sh.t flies really well when your front wheel goes into some! Know when to keep your mouth shut!

Brown stuff is not always mud.

Ja' date=' and cow sh.t flies really well when your front wheel goes into some! Know when to keep your mouth shut!
[/quote']

It is afterall just digested grass LOL

What is the cost of tubeless?

If you do happen to get puncture (I assume it still possible) how do you fix it? I imagine you cant just throw a normal tube in?

Cost can be expensive, UST rimms with UST tires etc. Rather just use Stans conversion kit on reg tires and see how it goes.

And there is about a million threads on what to do in case of a blowout, tear, or puncture on tubless.

Even though you may not be fast make sure your bike looks fast. L2climb2010-05-06 02:34:35

Just dont forget which brake lever is for the front brake!! (aparently this is different on a mtb compared to a road bike)

My mates old man has been a roadie for 20 or so years and we recently convinced him to buy a mtb. and for the first 3 rides on the spruit and northern farms he has gone arse over head on some down hills (although we did have a good laugh)