Heart Rate monitor conductivity

Desertbob

So, I have a Suunto Heart rate monitor with a regular chest strap which I like very much (mostly because it looks pretty)

But my problem is when I put the strap on I can't get a HR reading until I'm all properly sweaty... which can be a while into the ride on cold days.

Wetting the strap/chest with water helps sometimes but last time I did this I forgot I was wearing bibs and the water all ran down into my crotch. Cool and pleasant at first but soon the chaffing made things very unpleasant for me and everyone who had to watch me squirm and try to re-adjust Ouch 

So anyway, my question is this: Can I buy some some of conductive gel to put on the chest strap to make it pick up my HR without waiting to get sweaty or risking chaffing the family jewels? If so, where can I get it?

I believe Polar offers a product like this but no idea where you would get it. Phone Polar distributor on 011 805 1028

Remember that the strap must be quite tight. I thought I had a flat battery once untill Polar, okay I know you use Soentoe (waarheen gaan ons? Ons gaan soentoe), showed me how tight it should be. I just light wet my censor with water. At races I just use bit of spit and it works fine.

There is a shop in Fourways Crossing that sellings running gear and also stocks a gel that apparently helps increase the conductivity - Cannot remember the name of the shop though, so not much help to you I guess

There is a shop in Fourways Crossing that sellings running gear and also stocks a gel that apparently helps increase the conductivity - Cannot remember the name of the shop though' date=' so not much help to you I guess[/quote']

Maybe it's The Sweat Shop. The owner is Jax Snyman. He has done the Paris-Brest-Paris once or twice already.

I've used Polar HR monitors for years and have NEVER had the need to use a conductivity gel.

As Para says, use some spit. Works for me everytime.

Or you could just give the strap electrode area a good healthy LICK or 2 before you fit the strap...

I had the same problem years ago, tried gels but nothing was as simple or as efferctive as a bit of saliva (mine).

No, serious, KY is water based, so you can use it for conductivity, as far as I know they also use them on the impulse type muscle shocking excercise machines for conductivity.

And if you have that problem, you can also use it for that.

Desertbob, Rabubi is correct you can use KY jelly in place of conductivity jel. Otherwise just go to any Sportmans Warehouse and they sell the conductivity jel at the same stand that they sell the HR monitors and it is pretty cheap.

And if you have that problem' date=' you can also use it for that.
[/quote']

Or just follow Swissvan's advice Wink

just give the .... area a good healthy LICK or 2 before you fit the strap...

I had the same problem years ago' date=' tried gels but nothing was as simple or as efferctive as a bit of saliva (mine).

[/quote']
Desertbob2007-07-19 05:31:23

Licking works for me (hmmm.... there are soooo many ways that could be misunderstood!!)

Agreed' date=' just a lick and a spoeg and all works well!![/quote']

but just to be sure, keep the one tube next to the bedlamp and another in the saddlebag and youre covered

No' date=' serious, KY is water based, so you can use it for conductivity, as far as I know they also use them on the impulse type muscle shocking excercise machines for conductivity.

And if you have that problem, you can also use it for that.
[/quote']

If you have that problem and use it all up on your strap then what ....

Spoeg works just fine (on the hr strap), been doing it for yeaaaars.

That as well Wink