CSA fails our Junior riders

Chrispy

Heard that CSA decided that only 1 lady will represent SA at the World Junior champs in Mexico early next month.

My questions:

1. On what basis did CSA made their decision? (They advised on their website on the 20th June that the names were put forward to go to Mexico).

2. The Junior men were informed to get themselves ready to go, CSA were merely sorting out the budget. Where is the money going to be spent now?

Is this the kind of message we want to send to our youngsters that CSA actually does not have a plan in place to help Juniors who all aspire to be the next Robbie Hunter???

Bad planning CSA.Angry 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chrispy, they're shooting themselves in the foot.  And then the powers that be moan if we don't have anyone in the TdF or in a Protour team.  The same as our athletics.  A unachievable high standard is set to qualify as "we want medals, GOLD medals", but they forget that experience is more important!!!

DO you know what it costs to get just one athlete to Mexico ? Do you also know that World Junior Championships as at an altitude of 1800 m above sea level, in a country which is seven hours behind ours i.e, for those who don't understand a different time zone. Possibly I am mistaken but most of our top juniors are currently racing at sea level in Belgium. their is only one junior training  and racing in columbia at this present moment at more than 2000 m above sea level, CheriseTaylor raced 4 ELite womans criteriums in Belgium a week ago finished 9th, 7th , 6th, 6th ..note ELITE womans crits which she competed in with JUNIOR gears..

Its not to say that other riders don't deserve the opportunity to go, we have many good juniors who show great promise. but the cost is just too high .. and to go directly from Belgium to Mexico....to race at that kind of altitude without the right preperation.... you be the judge  

This brings us back to the same story.... UNTIL there is ORGANISED Junior cycling, racing overseas, our youngsters will remain years behind the rest of the world.

The Tekton boys are proving themselves, but this should not be left to a sponsor to do....... and on and on I could go.

I see the Elites and U23 over in Europe, also battling as it is hard, and you can only get better by racing there for a season at a time.

Good luck Cherise, you do deserve this great opportunity.

BB, don't agree!  What do you want to do, be a WORLD CHAMPION in your age group, or race in Belgium?

EWEP .. knowing Cherise, but then who's to say I know her at all, she wants to be a world champion in her age group,  which is why she is in Columbia training and racing at Altitude, and living with a columbian who competed in 15 grand tours , the guy also trained the columbia womans national team in 1997....do you agree with this ?

Cherise is going to do us proud, watch her win the world champs and the world fun rider champs of gauteng come november.

EWEP .. I'm sitting with some very drunk Belgium mates here, and we were wondering what do you want to be "A Moron" or "an idiot" ...

EWEP .. I'm sitting with some very drunk Belgium mates here' date=' and we were wondering what do you want to be "A Moron" or "an idiot" ... [/quote']

Hehehe, tell them that a very good family friend asked me the same thing while I was posting it.  Had funny stuff to say about my ancestry in their language WinkLOLLOL

What about Kenneth Ketterer not racing overseas.

It is a chance of i life time and CSA are sending them the msg that they are,not so good to go

DO you know what it costs to get just one athlete to Mexico ? Do you also know that World Junior Championships as at an altitude of 1800 m above sea level' date=' in a country which is seven hours behind ours i.e, for those who don't understand a different time zone. Possibly I am mistaken but most of our top juniors are currently racing at sea level in Belgium. their is only one junior training  and racing in columbia at this present moment at more than 2000 m above sea level, CheriseTaylor raced 4 ELite womans criteriums in Belgium a week ago finished 9th, 7th , 6th, 6th ..note ELITE womans crits which she competed in with JUNIOR gears..

Its not to say that other riders don't deserve the opportunity to go, we have many good juniors who show great promise. but the cost is just too high .. and to go directly from Belgium to Mexico....to race at that kind of altitude without the right preperation.... you be the judge  
[/quote']

Though a sceptical note. Note that Belgian elite LADIES cycling is not much special. Level is poor races are passive. There are several junior ladies around who can ride top 10 in these rides.

Which doesn't mean that I don't respect Cherises performance as I think she's a talented girl which I whotnessed at last years worlds and she's god the looks going for her too :) .

Strange thing this Cycling I find it amazing a person like BB can make statemenst the way he does, when on earth is CSA going to start a national academy(OWNED BY CSA NOT INDIVIDUALS OR AGENTS) for juniors to start proper development and plough back into the sport at grass route level instead of worring about the Elites only.

Look at Microsoft/MTN get there job done without any hassles that is why a youngster such as Johnathan Kinnear will be featuring in the next two seasons. Stop looking for excuses and get the job done.Remember you had the balls to take the position you in now fulfill the roles you hold with your heads held high.