Indexing issue

Domin8tr

I just recently replaced my complete SRAM system with XT. The lbs tells me that the cables will take a bit of time to stretch and settle in before it gets to 1 click 1 shift. At the moment the shifting is just off and I can seem to find the sweet spot smiley36.gif which is annoying!

Is this true/accurate?

Should i change to sealed cables?

Should I get someone else to have a look?

All systems are different, am I going to have to continue over shifting to compensate?

First my experience:

I got sram x.0 gripshifts and installed them myself.(I was a complete newby at this, but I just followed the instructions)

I have been riding like that from January and haven't had one gear skip.

Advice:

Some cables are bought pre-stretched, but others will need to stretch. They say that it usually takes about a month of riding.

If it needs stretching, then it should work perfectly in the beginning and get worse over time, so I think they were just sloppy at installing your gears.

Sealed cable won't help you with this. They come in handy when you ride in dusty or maybe even muddy conditions, where dirt gets into the cable housing and mix with oil and forms a sticky paste that will effect your shifting, but this happens over time.

Finally, you should never have to overshift to compensate. Gears should be smooth. Especially if you pay the money to get xt.

I also replaced shifters and RD to XT.  In the procees I also repplace the cables and housing.  No problem from day 1.

I think your LBS is being lazy,

Cables don't stretch, it's the housing that settle. Did they put new cable housing on? if not it could be dirt in the housing.

As mentioned earlier, it should start off set up correctly and then get worse.

Next time you change the cable and housing, go for full housing, you won't regret it.

Also why did you go from SRAM to XT?

Most people are doing it the other way round.

Flowta is right. Cables don't stretch and cannot be pre-stretched. This is an old cycling myth that refuses to die. It's perpetuated by clueless mechanics and swallowed by gullible customers. The term for this, I believe, is a meme - a myth that transcends generations like a gene.

Stretch in this context should be defined as elongate. In other words, cables cannot be elongated by us humans by pulling on brakes or gears. Also, steel doesn't deform from lots of small, repetive stresses, so shifting and braking lots will not elongate the cables either.

What does happen is that the relative length of the inner cable to the outer cable changes and this causes road bike brakes to go "slacker" or gears to go out. This happens over time as the hard and daisey-shaped inner cable grinds away at the plastic sleeve of the housing and effectively takes shortcuts around corners.

However, you don't compensate for this in advance, as this clueless individual suggests. It is something you correct at the end of the cable's life by replacing it.

I suggest the OP books himself onto a DIY maintenance course or buys a book. Even if you don't end up doing everything yourself afterwards, at least the bike shops can't bullsh*t you anymore.

Also why did you go from SRAM to XT?Most people are doing it the other way round.

smiley8.gif Aah!! a pilgrim who finally knows everyone (jokes)

Time for a change and because of severe short term memory issues. I wanted something with indicators so I can see what gear I'm in!! Cause I forget!! Top end SRAM doesn't have this option smiley1.gif

I will be off to the lbs to sort out this problem, I don't really have an issues with them and if they can't fix it I'll go else where. Thats the way it works, either u know what ur doing or u loose business!!

Also why did you go from SRAM to XT?Most people are doing it the other way round.

Time for a change and because of severe short term memory issues. I wanted something with indicators so I can see what gear I'm in!! Cause I forget!! Top end SRAM doesn't have this option smiley1.gif

hahaha, I got offered to go SRAM but went for Saint (older model). I just manage to break stuff. 3 frames in 3 years. Embarrassed

Three words: SRAM Gripshift x.0

I just recently replaced my complete SRAM system with XT. The lbs tells me that the cables will take a bit of time to stretch and settle in before it gets to 1 click 1 shift. At the moment the shifting is just off and I can seem to find the sweet spot smiley36.gif which is annoying!

Yes indeed it is! I have had the same experience with my XT setup from day one and to be honnest, I'll rather go back to the old crisp LX if i still had it. I am sick of the excuses the lbs(3 different ones) dig out if they're unable to fix the problem. So, I am saving for my SRAM kit.

It cannot be that difficult.  I picked two sets of 2010 XT rd an shifters for a bargain (R900 per set)  Rebuild on two bikes (my son and mine), works like a dream from day one ( I am not the most pracical guy).  Also replaced cables and housing at the same time.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

L?Bie , what year model is your XT setup.

Yes indeed it is! I have had the same experience with my XT setup from day one and to be honnest' date=' I'll rather go back to the old crisp LX if i still had it. I am sick of the excuses the lbs(3 different ones) dig out if they're unable to fix the problem. So, I am saving for my SRAM kit.
[/quote']

I doubt you're being honest. Do you really think the reason you cannot get your gears to work properly is 'cause they're Shimano?

If those bike shops can't fix XT, they sure as hell cannot fix SRAM - the pinciples are exactly the same.

Go figure out how to tune gears.

Yes indeed it is! I have had the same experience with my XT setup from day one and to be honnest' date=' I'll rather go back to the old crisp LX if i still had it. I am sick of the excuses the lbs(3 different ones) dig out if they're unable to fix the problem. So, I am saving for my SRAM kit.

[/quote']

I doubt you're being honest. Do you really think the reason you cannot get your gears to work properly is 'cause they're Shimano?

If those bike shops can't fix XT, they sure as hell cannot fix SRAM - the pinciples are exactly the same.

Go figure out how to tune gears.

It has been discussed on the forum and I tried everything. I am not the dumbest when it comes to mechanicals, but this one just irks me. All my other kit is Shimano and it works like a dream. Why wouldn't I like it. I don't like it because I spend good money one something that the older lesser spec was doing better. So to sum it up then; XT Shaddow line 2008.

Bought new with bike - erratic shifting

new cluster - erratic shifting

changed the chain and the cluster - erratic shifting.

new cables with sleeves - no change.

erratic means it might perform perfect going up but not down. Make the adjustments for perfect shifting down and it won't go up. Some days it will work fine and other days it just refuse to co-operate.  This is true for both on the road or on a stand. Present status is that I had spend enough money on this problem. it is getting binned - finnish and klaar!

It has been discussed on the forum and I tried everything. I am not the dumbest when it comes to mechanicals' date=' but this one just irks me. All my other kit is Shimano and it works like a dream. Why wouldn't I like it. I don't like it because I spend good money one something that the older lesser spec was doing better. So to sum it up then; XT Shaddow line 2008.
Bought new with bike - erratic shifting
new cluster - erratic shifting
changed the chain and the cluster - erratic shifting.
new cables with sleeves - no change.
erratic means it might perform perfect going up but not down. Make the adjustments for perfect shifting down and it won't go up. Some days it will work fine and other days it just refuse to co-operate.  This is true for both on the road or on a stand. Present status is that I had spend enough money on this problem. it is getting binned - finnish and klaar!
[/quote']

The fact that it has been discussed on this forum means squat other than a whole bunch of opinions were doled out free. I also doubt you tried everything. Describe to us the method you used to tune the gears.

Erratic shifting comes from a problem in the system somewhere. An experienced mechanic will isolate the problem in minutes.

SRAM is no better or worse. With the same underlying problem you'll still experience poor shifting.

If you can't find a good mechanic, save your money and come to me, I'll show you how to do it yourself.

what if your frame is bent? I've got almost 5000km on my XT groupset and it still works fine. And don't tell anybody but it's still got the same chain and cassette.