Chain reaction cycles shopping

Mtb2009

Do a good check on the local market as you can get some very good prices at the moment from Chris Willemse and Solomans.

Agree. Going rather to get some tools from CWC than CRC as the CWC is cheaper (even before VAT and duties).

But then again CRC has got some other great deals.

But one thing I've picked up in the last year is that LBS in the Cape are competitive with CRC where the up country ones seem to just rip off the public. You will never get an up-country cousin telling you to check your LBS first before ordering from CRC.

jeepers. just placed another order with CRC. Really tried to source the stuff here, but either stupendously overpriced, or it doesnt exist.

Makes me wonder how much in total and on average per month, do each of us spend at CRC?

Well I put in a 4k order thats coming in, before that a about 3,5k in April. and some wheels from overseas as well about 6,3k...

so far, 15 orders since March last year, total is about: R58k, which on average is about R3.6k per month.

LBS' must be experiencing pretty robust business to toss that sorta income overseas. Which reminds me I still need to look into new shocks and forks for my sled.

Is it cheaper buying from crc?

Not always' date=' but a lot of times, and sometimes as much a 50% less than locally. Check with CWCycles.co.za, your LBS, and search google and other shops. I've found quite a few items cheaper than at CRC. The convenience with CRC is you get free shipping on orders over R3000 and everything arrives together.

Is the total in the basket the real amount that i will pay?

CRC's currency calculator uses a different exchange rate than your local bank. My CRC cart's Rand value was R9300, but R9700 went off my CC.

On top of that, add 15.4% VAT if buying bike parts only, but up to 45% Duties + VAT on clothing. Or.. R400 to R1000 for a private broker if you're unlucky to get problems at customs...

Check eBay too...

Brighter-Lights2010-05-27 23:57:53

so far' date=' 15 orders since March last year, total is about: R58k, which on average is about R3.6k per month.

LBS' must be experiencing pretty robust business to toss that sorta income overseas. Which reminds me I still need to look into new shocks and forks for my sled.

[/quote']

I just checked my account, I've spent R57k with CRC since last Feb. Makes you wonder how much the local industry is losing out. I always check around locally before ordering from CRC, and if the local price is close to CRC's I'll rather get it locally.

The SRAM agents are fighting CRC prices though. I am getting a XX derailer and shifters cheaper from my LBS than from CRC Thumbs%20Up

I've spent close to R20k since June last year at CRC.

Upgrades and tools was more than 1/2 of this, parts for replacement was about R7k and the rest was consumables.

The year before I spent about R36k at my bike shop on my bikes for repairs and consumables only, so yes - it is alot cheaper and I've learnt a thing or 2 about bikes since working on my bikes myself. Twice I had to collect parcels at Cape Mail, but I suspect that when the parcel gets bigger, they think up a reason to get you to go there yourself, rather than sending it to the PO.

Well I put in a 4k order thats coming in' date=' before that a about 3,5k in April. and some wheels from overseas as well about 6,3k...[/quote']

Any idea when that order is going to get here?

so far' date=' 15 orders since March last year, total is about: R58k, which on average is about R3.6k per month.

[/quote']

I just checked my account, I've spent R57k with CRC since last Feb.

That's a lot of eBucks... Wink

One thing that I see is not worth getting on CRC are tools (with rare exception!). The last 5 tools I bought I got from LBS and even Sportsmans.

Yesterday I got a chain wip & cassette remover for the same price as CRC (my LBS was actually R8 cheaper). Got a cable cutter for 45% of CRC price from Sportsmans Warehouse and a crank puller for about 20% cheaper.

Then I'm not even factoring the import duties in, only VAT.

But for Camelbak, well CRC is the way to go. Got mine last year for 30% of local price.

Also got a chainset on order for way cheaper than local.

But I've also learnt to shop around with local guys. Got some XT V-Brake cantilevers of Icycling last year for nearly half the price of CRC!

But we need CRC to keep our LBSs on their toes. Without CRC (heak and even Take2 with their Amazon portal), we would continue to get ripped.