Gear Change eventually sorted

wac1

Have posted before about a **** gear change on the rear and took it to the shop i Baught the bike from and they replaced the cable , inner and outer to rectify the problem witch did not help the problem . After nearly pulling all my hair out with this problem I sorted it out my self .

I worked out the chain was 1 and half links too long . Chopped the chain and braught the derailer closer to the sprockets . The gear change is now silky smooth and changes perfectly every time .

Well done! I know the feeling...........you are now considering becoming a bicycle engineer.LOL

I got the new ride magazine today where they talk about the third screw adjustment on the rear derailer and how the derailer wheel must only be 5-6mm away from the sprocket . I noticed my derailer wheel was about 25mm away from the sprocket and noticed the only thing holding it so far away from the biggest sprocket was the chain .

took a chance and chopped the chain and walla it worked .

Engineer NO , Doctor maybe LOL

Well done.

I set up my gears according to sram guide that comes with it and it is always silky smooth. I don't even take it for a testdrive afterworths.

Bikeshops  is suppose to do this, but they don't always get it right.

Yea the magic "b" screw - SRAM says 5mm between the tips of the teeth all the way through the sprockets in the cassette but I couldnt get that right, so just set the gap to the largest sprocket, and it opens up as it goes down. This has the effect of slightly delaying gear changes and being less precise since chain has more room for lateral movement, but without a further adjustment to tweak the geometry of the quad, I dont see how that can be done, maybe I am missing something...

Anyway I finally sorted out my gears as well, although it took an upgrade to a X0. At least one can take that thing all apart to service it.

kosmonooit2010-05-30 06:54:36