riding no-hands

Shebeen

can someone explain the concept of twitchy to me ?

how is a bike twitchy ?

It keeps on scracthing itself? Oh TWITCHY not ITCHY.

Basically its the concept where something respond very fast, almost too fast, to any input i.e. a bump, a rock etc. Too responsive can be as bad, if not worse, than unresponsive.

Bikes with riders over 16 years old are more difficult to ride "hands free". They tend to be more uptight.

That's definitely my experience with my stupid bike!

Wheel base of less than 100 cm and the bike becomes more " twitchy", more than that the bike becomes more stable and easier to handle.

Yes, a golf towel will stop your bike from twitching. Wrap it around the handlebars to deaden over-responsiveness. If you wrap it around your shoulders and then attach it to the bars, you can steer without hands. Order one from the Bahamas now...

But on the over-responsive thing, my experience is that it's when the headset is a tad too loose.

forgot about this, thanks for the replies.

my bikes in increasing order of easier no handsability

full susser

fixie

ss hardtail

roadbike

looks like that study pretty much clears it up. I'm going to have a look at the headangles, but figure it might be this factor too!:

Also' date=' I discovered that if the wheel isn't true and you try ride 'no-hands' the front wheel can get into a very exciting wobble.Tongue
[/quote']

I had a standard, "racing" saddle on my old-skool Ti - and always battled to do the no-hands riding thing - bike was *twitchy* and all over the place...

Then I changed to a Brooks saddle, which is obviously a lot wider on top... and now no-hands is easy-peasy (lemon-squeezy)...

Kind of makes sense - since more of my posterior is in "contact" with the bike - which means I have more "area" with which to 'control' the bike... I'm not saying this is the only reason - but could contribute - certainly made a huge difference for me...

My 2 cents...