Nelsons Creek 3 day vs Oudtshoorn 3 day

Big Til

Hi Guys

Im thinking of either doing the Nelsons Creek 3 Day Challenge or the Oudtshoorn 3 day Challenge during September. Will be my first multi day event so was wondering which one you think would be best suited to a novice?

How much training would one have to do for this?
Big Til2010-06-08 07:40:09

Both rides have alot of district dirt roads. Nelsons Creek have a bit more technical riding (assuming routes stay the same as previous years). I'd rather do the Nelsons Creek one to be honest.

I rode the 2nd day of Nelson's Creek last year and really enjoyed it. Would like to do all 3 this year.

The three day at nelsons is nice. Well organised but you start on Friday morning which has always stopped me from doing the three day. I have done the 2 day and can say it gets really dirty so take 3 sets of cycling kits and a box for your smelly used clothes.

Im going to stick my head out here but apart from Eselfontein, I think the saturday of the Nelsonscreek festival is the best long distance Mtb race route Ive done... very well balanced, great singletrack, steep climbs and open farmroads.

I cant wait and might for once also try do all 3 days, only since ive never done more than 2 day race.

How many hours a week do you reckon I should be doing to be OK over the three days? Just looking to finish.

How many hours a week do you reckon I should be doing to be OK over the three days? Just looking to finish.

Average rider looks to do the 3 stages in 4 to 5 hours a stage. (Last day stages are traditionally the shortest).

Do 2 x 3 hour rides over weekends at 75% to 80% max hr. Do 2 x 60 to 90 minute rides in the week.

Rest for a week before the event.

Average rider looks to do the 3 stages in 4 to 5 hours a stage. (Last day stages are traditionally the shortest).

Do 2 x 3 hour rides over weekends at 75% to 80% max hr. Do 2 x 60 to 90 minute rides in the week.

Rest for a week before the event.

Heavy..I wouldnt be calling this average. and I promise you the average Btbiker Isnt doing this much riding. you can "finish" those rides easy with 2 x 60 minute hard rides in the week and a 2-3 hour ride on the weekend. If you start doing this now and up the training to the amount Madabout rida is talking about about 4 weeks before the race you'll be strong by the time september comes. Maybe get a few intermediate goals like do knysna or the stellenbosh challenge to keep the motivation up.

Thanks guys, Ive entered for the 85km at Knysna, should be a baptism of fire (i believe it is in fact only 75km) but if not why not?  Ill be doing either the Napier or Gansbaai 60km before then as well. Have only done a couple of 30km races this year so far.  Luckily I only work till 12h30 on Fridays so i cant get 3 long rides in over the weekend if i really want to.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that we have 2 other races competing for the same time slot as well: The Marrick MTB race and the Rhodes Extreme... I must admit that the Rhodes extreme race is really tempting.