Mountain bike etiquette

covie

What really irks me is watching beginners trying to go down single track at blind speed and locking up on every switchbacks' date=' dragging their wheels through all of them. And then they want your comment afterwards on their technique. Wish that these riders could realise that single track is all about being as smooth as possible, rather than wanting to be as fast as possible.

I miss the good ol days when you could safely and securely ride up the canaries, cruise across to neverendingstory and float down to just do it all over again.
[/quote']

of course you are the perfect beginner. You did everything perfect and fast just like the pro's on your first ride.

Why dont you take your irks, and help someone ? Help a beginner and spend some time to show that merida riders are actually nice people. Yes they want your comment because unlike other people beginners are wanting to learn - but then in the good ol days you never had beginners did you?

You can only teach someone that WANTS to learn. Surely you know that? My point is that these riders actually thinks its COOL to lock up and drag their sorry back wheels all over the place.

Besides - I think that people should write some sort of "trail test" before they are allowed to ride at certain places.

PS - I dedicate a lot of my riding time helping new riders in the sport. My brother, his girl friend, my wife and quite a few riders on the warthogs mailing list can confirm that, but I have a firm rule about imposing myself on people. You simply will not get the desired response.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My rugby coach always said that the bigger they are the harder they fallWink madaboutmerida2010-06-11 00:28:43

I have to agree madaboutmeridia was born with the natural talent unbeknown to everyone else, he never locked up or had to learn stuff nor work on technique its was genetically coded into his design by superior beings we are not familiar with.

Sorry dude you are full of yourself, beginners need to learn, and learn on the same spaces occupied by more experianced riders so deal with it or buy your own farm and build your own singletrack.

Maybe we can all get together and see how brilliant you actually are, do you have a T-shirt with your face so we can all admire you?

And just for the record doing a cutty does more damange than locking up and that is perfectly acceptable advanced riding technique.

Let me add that two thumbs up to the beginners that have the guts to bolt downhill without the aquired techniques, it shows you guys have balls, you aim to enjoy yourselfs. And that is what this sport is all about technique you will develop as time comes.covie2010-06-11 01:55:14

Seems the only reason those going up ST have for claiming ROW (other than some international standard) is that it's harder to get going again than those going down. Seems quite lame to me .... If you're going up the single track for a physical workout and to work on technical skills, then surely your technical skills will be tested more having to restart on an uphill ? Wink

I have to agree madaboutmeridia was born with the natural talent unbeknown to everyone else' date=' he never locked up or had to learn stuff nor work on technique its was genetically coded into his design by superior beings we are not familiar with.

Sorry dude you are full of yourself, beginners need to learn, and learn on the same spaces occupied by more experianced riders so deal with it or buy your own farm and build your own singletrack.

Maybe we can all get together and see how brilliant you actually are, do you have a T-shirt with your face so we can all admire you?[/quote']

Did it take you all night to come up with that chirp?

I did take you and your girlfriend around Oak Valley dude - And waited patiently for both of you and showed you SOME of what I know. On that day you were actually open to be tought.

Seems the only reason those going up ST have for claiming ROW (other than some international standard) is that it's harder to get going again than those going down. Seems quite lame to me .... If you're going up the single track for a physical workout and to work on technical skills' date=' then surely your technical skills will be tested more having to restart on an uphill ? Wink [/quote']

The reason why we give ROW to riders coming up ST is because it is the internationally accepted convention. Its a rule of thumb of what to do when you are unsure.

Since we are so far off the topic already, why don't we question other conventions in SA like yeilding to traffic coming from the right and driving on the left hand side of the road.

When it makes sense to yeald for riders coming up ST, do so. Most of us haven't fallen so many times that we have no more brains left, but if you are unsure, stick to the convention.

I have to agree madaboutmeridia was born with the natural talent unbeknown to everyone else' date=' he never locked up or had to learn stuff nor work on technique its was genetically coded into his design by superior beings we are not familiar with.

Maybe we can all get together and see how brilliant you actually are, do you have a T-shirt with your face so we can all admire you?[/quote']

I did take you and your girlfriend around Oak Valley dude - And waited patiently for both of you and showed you SOME of what I know. On that day you were actually open to be tought.

Grant is dit jy jou nathol

Grant is dit jy jou nathol

LOL Dis MENEER nathol vir jou boet. BTW. het jy daai ergons al opgesit?

yip did that last night, and your gonna have to change your nick to madaboutmorewood, in any event ill fight you to the death downhill ROW muahahaha

yip did that last night' date=' and your gonna have to change your nick to madaboutmorewood, in any event ill fight you to the death downhill ROW muahahaha[/quote']

And I'll take you to the next TBMTB trail build session to show you what goes into building and maintaining the trails. We can then chat about the "fast vs smooth" issue again.

ek sal daaroor met jou stry offline :) die thread is nou my personal crusade for DH ROW

ek sal daaroor met jou stry offline :) die thread is nou my personal crusade for DH ROW

Good luck, maar ek dink dit is soos om wind-op te pee.

Seems the only reason those going up ST have for claiming ROW (other than some international standard) is that it's harder to get going again than those going down. Seems quite lame to me .... If you're going up the single track for a physical workout and to work on technical skills' date=' then surely your technical skills will be tested more having to restart on an uphill ? Wink [/quote']

The reason why we give ROW to riders coming up ST is because it is the internationally accepted convention. Its a rule of thumb of what to do when you are unsure.

Since we are so far off the topic already, why don't we question other conventions in SA like yeilding to traffic coming from the right and driving on the left hand side of the road.

When it makes sense to yeald for riders coming up ST, do so. Most of us haven't fallen so many times that we have no more brains left, but if you are unsure, stick to the convention.

Most of the international convention is to drive on the right hand side of the road and to yield to traffic from the left .....

Most of the international convention is to drive on the right hand side of the road and to yield to traffic from the left .....

Interesting point here:

That's only because the chinese decided to follow the americans and use the right hand side of the road to drive on Wink before 1946 they used the left. It is possible to change convention, but until then I'd rather be safe and stick to what is commonly accepted.

Interesting point here:

That's only because the chinese decided to follow the americans and use the right hand side of the road to drive on Wink before 1946 they used the left. It is possible to change convention' date=' but until then I'd rather be safe and stick to what is commonly accepted.
[/quote']

Well ... there you go Smile

I suppose the point of all of this is that there are differences of opinion of what is acceptable.

For me the bottom line is safety, and generally speaking it's safer for those going up to yield for those going down. Although I usually end up yielding for those going either way mostly because I'm going reasonably slow Wink