Mountain bike etiquette

covie

Ladies and Gents I am happy to announce that apparently SA does not feel the need to adhere to international convention, seems that some of our biggest associations agree with me that the rider comming down has right of way :)

This extract from the PPA site

The PPA has been instrumental in off-road cycling since the early eighties, when ROMP (Responsible Organised Mountain Pedallers) was incorporated into PPA as the Association's mountain bike arm.

Those days - as is still the case - the following code of conduct was adhered to:
>> Ride on open trails only
>> Yield to pedestrians and horseriders
>> Never, ever litter - leave only your prints behind
>> Ride responsibly and do not destroy trails
>> Keep left!
>> Yield to riders coming down the trail
>> Follow the acknowledged trail direction, if specified

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to think that my slog up the jeep track will be rewarded with a nice fast descent through the single track.

Straight up and the long way down

Ladies and Gents I am happy to announce that apparently SA does not feel the need to adhere to international convention, seems that some of our biggest associations agree with me that the rider comming down has right of way :)

<DIV> </DIV>

<DIV>This extract from the PPA site</DIV>

<DIV> </DIV>

<DIV>

<P>The PPA has been instrumental in off-road cycling since the early eighties, when ROMP (Responsible Organised Mountain Pedallers) was incorporated into PPA as the Association's mountain bike arm.</P>

<P>Those days - as is still the case - the following <strong>code of conduct</strong> was adhered to:<BR>>> Ride on open trails only<BR>>> Yield to pedestrians and horseriders<BR>>> Never, ever litter - leave only your prints behind<BR>>> Ride responsibly and do not destroy trails<BR>>> Keep left!<BR><strong><EM><U><FONT color=#cc0000>>> Yield to riders coming down the trail<BR></FONT></U></EM></strong>>> Follow the acknowledged trail direction, if specified<BR></P></DIV>

WHAT, NO WAY MAN! Why should we have to yield to hikers and horseriders? It's way easier and safer for them to stop and get going again regardless of whether they're going up or down. And horseriders? Paaaleeesse! They don't do anything, they just sit there - the poor horse does all the work up the hill! And with the height advantage, the horse rider should see us coming way in advance and move out the way.

;) Kidding, just stirring...

have to love roadies since they seem to have right of way, even when facing an oncoming brigade of Tanks :D