What you need to know about yr MTB

MichH

On the Freedom Ride (2300km - extreme conditions), not one of us cleaned or replaced a chain.  As far as I know no one suffered from chain suck, or any serious drivetrain issues.  We would lube the chain in the morning, and then at lunch time if necessary.  I used cooking oil once - lasted for 4 days (500km).

Ah' date=' but it's all to do with the challenge of the race... plus you need tubeless to stand the thorns and preferably some kind of arm and leg protection as well![/quote']

have to agree. got back from botswana on monday. our game guides did the same race as you. at one stage i had about 50 thorns in each tyre. barely lost any pressure! legs are a mess though!

Aaah holy roller, someone who understands! I believe the guides from Cycle Mashatu did quite well in the race. I remember them being mentioned (although at that stage, most things were a blur!). That sand really hurts your legs doesn't it?!

OK, so in summary:

TRY clean your chain regularly. Lube chain after every ride

Check tyre pressure before every ride

Clean shocks often (like 1-2 times a month)

Clean bike often (like 1-4 times a month!)

Check for chain stretch monthly

Top up Stan's every 2-3 months

When you clean bike, run your finger over the spokes to try hear if one is loose (?)

Check headset, BB and wheel hubs for play once a month

MichH2007-08-01 11:06:05

haha! it's not so much the sand, as the sand that gets into the wounds that the thorns open up!LOL our ride, according to the guides - one finished quite well, was a lot easier than yours in terms of surface )hard-packed jumbo trails (beaut!). but there was a lot of bundu bashingOuchwas gonna recommend a great maintenance book written by a straight-talking canadian chick (best i've read in a while - will google it and post the title), but i took it up to bots and left it with joe (one of the guides) as a sign of gratitude! can't wait to go again 

I'm dying to go to Cycle Mashatu! It looks sooo great! What was sleeping under the trees like?

Feeling scratched from head to toe? Buy some calendula ointment, best thing for wounds and scabs, mine from my fall was half gone after a week!!

sleeeping under the trees was an eye-opener, literally, every time i heard a noise, my eyes opened! kidding! it was absolutley brilliant. took our time. coupla novices in the group, so we rode as fast as the slowest member. real chilled! if you need to put together a group, you know where to find me! will post pics and a bit of a write-up in a coupla days

OK' date=' so in summary:

When you clean bike, run your finger over the spokes to try hear if one is loose (?)

[/quote']

how on earth do i top up with stan's? how do i get the stuff inside?

OK' date=' so in summary:

[/quote']

how on earth do i top up with stan's? how do i get the stuff inside?

unscrew the valve, plop the bottle on top and squeeze.

If you never had any problem with tubes' date=' don't change to tubeless.

[/quote']

can i convert my roadie bike??

unscrew the valve' date=' plop the bottle on top and squeeze.
[/quote']

Big%20smile

aaah so i CAN convert my roadie-bike, then? or at least put some stan's in? 'cos the valves are the same? cool, thx!

glad to see you at last arrived at an event and actually could ride it without mecahnical failure, accidents or other things interfering with life Smile

If you never had any problem with tubes' date=' don't change to tubeless.

[/quote']

can i convert my roadie bike??

stand corrected, but no, you can't. you can get tubbies, or you can slime road tubes - not many do. go for a robust tyre like a conti duraskin. tough sidewalls.