Drivetrain Q&A

wonduhboy

Been wondering:

Can you use say a 105 10sp casette with a Dura ace 10sp chain and cranks? i.e. can you mix the shimano components (all 10sp though)

Yes you can. On the latest Dura Ace you cannot mix sprockets from other gruppos, because they've realised that to have an aluminium freehub body, you need large indents. But the rest is perfectly compatible. The only difference on the chain is the nickel plating. On Dura Ace all the links are nickel plated. On Ultegra only the outside ones and on lower end chains none.

Yes you can. On the latest Dura Ace you cannot mix sprockets from other gruppos' date=' because they've realised that to have an aluminium freehub body, you need large indents. But the rest is perfectly compatible. The only difference on the chain is the nickel plating. On Dura Ace all the links are nickel plated. On Ultegra only the outside ones and on lower end chains none. [/quote']

Thanks Johan - what is the latest dura ace gruppo?

What does the nickel plating on the chain do? longevity?

Can you use say a 105 10sp casette with a Dura ace 10sp chain and

cranks? i.e. can you mix the shimano components (all 10sp though)

Yep.  105/Ultegra/DuraAce shifters, chain, cassette, chainrings, brakes, whatever all matches.

In fact, I swap three wheels on my bike, one with a 105 11-23, one Ultegra 11-21, and one Dura Ace 11-23. (and I also have an Ultegra 12-27 not attached to a wheel.)

Ultegra lasts longer, and is cheaper than Dura Ace.

What you can't do is match a very old, worn cassette with a very new chain.  It'll jump between gears.

The same is true for Campag: swap Record, Chorus, Veloce, etc. no problem.

While we're busy: Has anybody tried a SRAM derailleur with a Shimano cassette and a Campag crank?  Tongue

I currently have a sram xo deraileur and an xt casette on my mtb. works perfectly.

Gruppo - slang for groupset.

I'm referring to the FH 7801 rear freehub. It has a new aluminium body with large ridges that are supposedly more immune to cassette bite-in.

Nic

kel plating is very, very important. It makes the chain pretty and shiny, which makes you go much much faster. Nickel is a bit like chrome, but not as shiny.  In the view of my limited pocket, shiny chains are a waste of money. They last just as short as dull non-plated chains and look terrible when they're oily. Cheap chains look terrible at all times.
Johan Bornman2007-08-03 08:55:13