Derailer jockey wheels

Nobody

I need to replace the wheels on my X.9 rear derailer. I went into an LBS and the BBB wheels were almost R300 for the set. What are the other options out there other than OEM?

I need to replace the wheels on my X.9 rear derailer. I went into an LBS and the BBB wheels were almost R300 for the set. What are the other options out there other than OEM?

what is wrong with them? IF the teeth are still okay then you can clean them up pretty nicely.

Otherwise look at KCNC. They are less then R200 and ads a bit of bling. But I will stick with originals. Try and get some Taxc ones. Cheaper then OEM.

The teeth are very sharp and short (worn out). I dont know if the KCNC will work on SRAM. If it does then i am on luck as I have and old set lying around.

Don't want to hijack your thread but I recently had to replace my jockey wheels. Top one broke in half 20km into Hazeldean race. Chain jumped so much that I choose not to finish race. Why would this happen? LBS only had a pair of BBB wheels in stock. I did not like idea of all the bushes. LBS stripped a new Shimano SLX and sold OEM wheels to me for R200.

Still on hijack: What's wrong with the bushes?

I cleaned my campag record rd this weekend and found that both wheels uses bushes.

2010 SRAM X9 rear derailleur has bearings top and bottom jockey wheels. The wheels also have perforations in them, ideal for collecting mud. I snapped some teeth off one before, replaced with old one I had lying in the garage...

Still on hijack: What's wrong with the bushes?

I cleaned my campag record rd this weekend and found that both wheels uses bushes.

In my mind the problem is not the fact that it uses bushes. (SLX OEM also using bushes). I do not like the fact that it is an universal kit. There are a different sized bushes available for different applications. (see sample image)

post-4407-000780000 1277234001.jpg

In my (humble) opinion replacing pulleys is unnecessary unless they're actually cracked or missing. One ex-pro roadie told me he just rode his until they were pretty much completely round without any teeth left, without problems. The ones on my XT shadow are also pretty well-worn, and to be honest I haven't noticed any difference...

Maybe it's just me.

In my mind the problem is not the fact that it uses bushes. (SLX OEM also using bushes). I do not like the fact that it is an universal kit. There are a different sized bushes available for different applications. (see sample image)

I don't see the problem. The Universal kit makes them easy to stock and hence brings the price down. Further, the difference between the various ones is simply the bearing/bushing width and offset. So why not solve the problem with a set of spacers like the ones in your picture?

This is what mine looks like

http://www.washingtonimaging.co.uk/cycling/bryans_bike/JOCWHEEL.JPG

There is talk about using to much grease/lube on the wheels and that is why they clog up. I am going to wait till they are completely smooth or shifting becomes an issue (but shifting issues could come from anything)

www.eunduroforkseals.com want $99 for some jockey wheels, thats nuts.

Yours are worn beyond their useful life. Just replace them with a set of generic ones if you don't like the OEM prices. BBB or such. They're cheap - R100 and a bit.

The problem with a tension pulley worn that badly is that it's pitch is now out of sync ith the chain. With each engagement it misses the mark before engaging, making a click click sound with each engagement. Sometimes this makes the chain hop skip and jump. Nevertheless, the click click is enough to drive me nuts.

This is what mine looks like

http://www.washingtonimaging.co.uk/cycling/bryans_bike/JOCWHEEL.JPG

There is talk about using to much grease/lube on the wheels and that is why they clog up. I am going to wait till they are completely smooth or shifting becomes an issue (but shifting issues could come from anything)

www.eunduroforkseals.com want $99 for some jockey wheels, thats nuts.

Replaced my Shimano Jockey Wheels last night with the proper Shimano goodies ... nice and silent out back now :)