Garmin Watches

dylankeyter

Hi Hubbers

I'm looking into buying a GPS watch, I only know of the Garmin 305 and 405 watches, do you know of any others? Does anyone own either or other GPS watch? I would like to know if they are worthwhile, will be using it for cycling and running.

Will you be swimming ? 310XT from Garmin would be ideal then

You can buy a QR mount and strap to put the edge 500 on your wrist as well, but its not ideal.

Sure runners can tell you more about other models

I use a 310xt for running and cycling, largely MTB.

I bought it for this specifically and am happy with it after having researched different GPS devices.

There are better Garmin options for pure cycling such as the Edge series but if you are going to use it for running then I believe the 310xt is well worth a look.

Garmin Cycling Watches

- I agree with all the other guys so far, if you want an all round watch for Cycling, running canoeing etc then look into the Garmin Forerunner 305 / Forerunner 310XT.

- I choose the Garmin Edge 705 because i was using extensivly on my MTB and i enjoy the mapping screen with the ability to create my own maps an upload to the GPS so when i am out on the trail i know where all the other trails are that i can ride on should i want to change it up while i am out there.

- There is also the Edge 500 option for your bike, does very much the same as the Edge 500 but without the mapping screen.

I did get alot of help from the guys at EasyGIS and they do know there products. So perhaps drop them an email.

I see that the prices are cheaper if you add to your shopping cart, so add to your shopping cart for the price you will pay. They also have adverts here on the Hub.

Link below to all there fitness / Sport GPS units.

http://www.easygis.co.za/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=126_7

• 2 weeks later...

The 310 has GPS. I use the 305 and it works absolutely fine, the 310Xt is an upgrade on the 305 so you will find the 305 at a discount compared to the 310XT. I can't see any real benefit comparing the 310 to the 305.

405 man, 405!

has both running and cycling settings.

This watch has some really cool functions you can use to train with, map your routes that you've ridden on google maps, store them back to the watch and then race against yourself next time around.

measures speed, distance, altitude, hr.

has online training log as well as offline training log.

I have a Polar RS800 multi-sport. It came with a GPS thingy which works quite nicely. I have used it for cycling and running and have been very happy with it.

Only downside/ drawback is that the GPS thingy eats batteries. I replace the battery after every use. However, since it only uses 1 AA battery, this isn't too much of a hassle - rechargeables are cheap!

Hi Everyone

Just a quick review of the differences between the Forerunner 305 / Forerunner 310XT

post-13257-049619000 1278331068.jpg

You will see that the important things to look at are battery life, Water Resistance & Route Capabilities.

Another thing to remember is that if you are using the FR 305 or FR310XT on your bike and for running you will need the quick release kit in order to mount on you bike and your wrist.

This does form a bit of a problem if you are moving from running to cycling in a triathlon.

However the Forerunner 310XT does have a better system than the 305 and does not require a Velcro Strap.

A simple turn and twist system is used to use the watch on your Arm like the Edge 500 uses to mount on your bike.

If you require any additional info on accessories, preformance etc just PM me and i will respond to you.

Awesome, thanks! Where is the cheapest place to buy this locally? CRC is about R1000 cheaper than kalahari, not keen for the import duties etc though.

What are the duties on watches? I see on CRC the Garmin 305 and Polar RS300X are very similar price, which one is better?