Need advice on buying a mountain bike

HSW

Hi

I will appreciate some help on buying a mountain bike. I want to buy a bike I can use for Xterra races, stage races/event and for having fun on a trail. I am considering the Speciaized Epic or Giant Anthem, but the Stumpjumper and Trance seems like good options as well. Should I be looking at a 29er as well as it seems these bikes are becoming very popular? Any other bikes that I should look at?

I am in the process of relocating back to SA and will most likely buy a bike in the US on my way home as it seems prices are a bit lower than in SA (and SAA should ship for free). Problem with that is that I would not be able to "test ride" a lot of bikes as I am living on a island where there are no bike stores.

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you have the right idea as far as bike options go. Ask yourself how much racing you'll be doing as opposed to playing on the trail. If more of the latter, then look at the Stumpy and Trance, rather.

Trance and Stumpy has more upright position and if you want to ride trails it makes sense. Bikes with more racing geometry makes more sense as it forces you to engage with the machine, ie lower body position makes for better control. Just ride with ur body more down than upright on the same technical section and see for yourself.

U want to race Xterra etc and have fun in the Trails not compete in the trails and have fun on Xterra?

I have owned both an anthem and a trance and this is the bottom line. if you like to race and are a strong competitive rider the amthem is a better machine. if you want to enoy trails and ride a comfortable machine that can soak up anything a trail throws at it the trance is your bike. I really enjoyed my anthem but after switching to the trance i couldnt be happier its a bit slower on the climbs but is much more comfortable and forgiving to ride i also can ride longer rides in comfort v the anthem. Hope that helps mate...

Thanks for all of the advice! Really appreciate it! Have decided to buy the wife a Trance as she wants to get into the sport. I am still a bit undecided as to what to buy as I still need to decide for myself what the bike will be used mostly for.

It has been great, but I think it is time to come home after 5 years living in the Cayman's! Not a lot of biking either as the Island is only about 260 square km and the highest point is the rubbish dumb!