Voortrekker Monument

Beer4Recovery

I recieved a pamphlet at Groenkloof the weekend about the Voortrekker MTB track. Anyone been there recently? Is it worth a try? Are the trails marked or difficult to find?

Thanks!

The USN - Dylan Victor race is on theer this weekend if you want to come take a look. It wont run only in Voortrekker Monument but it will showcase waht is on offer at the venue.

Should be good fun - 50km & 25km - Plenty of climbing!!

Jip daar is n hele paar, party is oopgesny en ander goed toeggeroei. leke tegniese klimme ook.

cool is dit veilig? dit is verniet natuurlik...

Hi All,

Does anyone have garmin files of the race route/single tracks at voortrekker? Would like to try it out this weekend.

Thanks

• 11 months later...

Had the chance to try this out today and found it to be quite varied but still needs to be ridden a lot more and I found a lot of hand grenade size rocks on the single track. A further challenge was the fact that I found 14 route markers that had been uprooted and lying in the grass, seemingly vandalism involved. This meant that I had to stop at each flattened marker and work out what it could have indicated. At no stage was I lost as it is very easy to orientate where I was with the monument ever present. The stop start plus the hand grenades does not make this trail synonymous with the term "flowing single track". With all the confusion I managed to get in 16kms when combining the green and blue routes but the map (if you can call it that) suggested 21kms so I obviously got it wrong somewhere. All in all it does give you a good work out with a lot of rough climbs to negotiate but don't expect a consistent ride until you know the track.

Hi,

We ride quite often at Groenkloof and Fountains and had heard there was riding around the Monument but are yet to try it. Where is the entrance and the start of the trails (coming from JHB)?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I rode there this morning, felt like I had the hill to myself, and I actually enjoyed it.Managed to get 20kms out of the trails, I think once you understand which trail flows into the next it will be a lot of fun. A lot of technical uphills ,and the single tracks can get quite technical as well, the entrance was R20 will definitely be goin back.

• 1 month later...

Ok guys please help me out here.

I ran there today trying to figure out the routes :

Started at the "start" sign.

Went onto blue jeep track then took the black turn of down an embankment and went right which turned into green singletrack.

Followed the singletrack where I could, doing the blue jeeptrack where needed.

I got 10km that way.

How does one ride to get the distances mentioned ?

I would love to run 20km here but seems it will need to be on the bike tracks (which I don't like doing) as I could only find a few kays of walking marked trail the other day.

Please have a look at my garmin file here

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/164161599

Thanks

WW.

Hi you actually missed quite a lot, ride up the hill towards skanskop on the left there is a track I think it's called zebra take it, once you on that trail you will get about ten kms out of skanskop, eventually you get back to the main gate and you attack all the single track around Voortrekker.

I'll upload some of my routes from endomondo a bit later today so you can compare.

there is a way that you can upload the routes to your phone or a device that supports the software,but I've never tried,maybe we should ask some of the tech guys on the hub how its done

The routes must be shared. (so when you search for a route it should appear in the list. Madvics - you only shared Voortrekker 5, the other two are not available for download. But thanks anyway! :thumbup:

In Endomondo, go to "Routes". Search on the map or type in the route.

(See pic 1)

Click on the route. At the bottom of the route map, there should be a "Download to phone" link. Click on this. (see pic 2)

Now on your mobile, Click on "Workout / Choose Workout".

Select the "Follow a Route".

In here should the track be listed that you just downloaded.

Hope this helps..

post-5035-0-21696900-1333452036.jpg

post-5035-0-63537200-1333452063.jpg

Edited by FuelEX

The routes must be shared. (so when you search for a route it should appear in the list. Madvics - you only shared Voortrekker 5, the other two are not available for download. But thanks anyway! :thumbup:

In Endomondo, go to "Routes". Search on the map or type in the route.

(See pic 1)

Click on the route. At the bottom of the route map, there should be a "Download to phone" link. Click on this. (see pic 2)

Now on your mobile, Click on "Workout / Choose Workout".

Select the "Follow a Route".

In here should the track be listed that you just downloaded.

Hope this helps..

Cool I will share the other two.