Meniscus Tear and ITB

Cartilage like braincells does not grow back except in some experimental new procedures. Some of these procedures has been noted in the South African media already. I can let you know if you like. The point is; if it is gone, it is mostly gone for good and what you have left need to be guarded like a very fragile treasure.

I am not a doctor but have read up volumes on knee cartilage issues, due to the fact that I have destroyed most of my medial knee cartilage, while I was still in the army.

Sloet my advice for you is to be careful at the procedure selected to repair the meniscus injury. (Keep as much cartilage as possible) When in rehab, stick to the program religiously. You may feel strong, but the raw state of the knee can easily deteriorate in this stage.

Super-mil's advice on supplements sounds wise.

Good luck!

My wife hasn't been able to run since Knysna festival last year, but I think it is a case of her not doing really that much active at all till she decided to start running and training for the knysna half.

She was also told that she probably had a meniscus tear (got different diagnosis' from different physio/ biokinetisis).

She eventually went for the MRI and discovered that there was no Meniscus tear but she did have ITB and a popliteus problem.

She is now finally with a bio and a physio that seems to be doing the right things with her. (they seem to be on the same train of thought and work well together)

I don't like the thought of an op on my knee, so for your sake I hope you don't need to go through it.

Anyway, I wish you luck and that you'll be back on the mend soon

post-7694-006505500 1279352689.jpgMy leg after the op in Aug '08.

Oh I love my wife for being a sports physio - even though I know they are HIGHLY underpaid!

I tore my ligaments right out oh the meniscus. Both of them. The doc had to use a piece of my hamstring to keep my legs together. (My right hammie is now a bit smaller than my left one...)

I am also having a miniscus opp the doc said he will decide when he is in whether to remove or shave

whats your issue I feel absolutely fine until I bend past a certain point. When i try stretch it seems flear

it up and make it worse takes a few days to settle down.

my pain would start after about 5-8km off running, when i stop it's fine unless i bend the knee more than 30 degrees

I got great news from the doc after the MRI yesterday

no need to operate, gave cortisone injection and need to go to physio for ITB stretching

if pain persists after 6 weeks will get ITB release operation

my pain would start after about 5-8km off running, when i stop it's fine unless i bend the knee more than 30 degrees

I got great news from the doc after the MRI yesterday

no need to operate, gave cortisone injection and need to go to physio for ITB stretching

if pain persists after 6 weeks will get ITB release operation

That is great news, my wife had a similar result after the MRI. Seeing a physio and bio for ITB stretching and muscle imbalance.

thanks flowta

yip, i will also use the physio to sort out all muscle imbalances

good luck for your wife