My New Babies

VincentBikes

So today my new babies arrived in the post

post-4111-031716100 1279291898.jpg

and now onto the build tomorrow...................yeehaaaaa.....hopefully ready for Sundays Race..

Got up early saturday morning and travelled to Johan Bornman from Yellow Saddle and took my new rims and hubs with ready for the build. So with the kind help and attention from Johan I started the build project. About six hours later and a hec of a lot of information and learning about what it takes to build a proper wheel I completed the project. Not forgetting the sore hands and back as this is no mean feat to do. Once again Johan thanks for the oppertunity and I strongly recommend anyone to complete one of Johan's wheel build courses and the satisfaction of having built your own set of wheels - unmeasurable.

Fitted them to the bike on Saturday evening and put the set through their paces at the Medscheme Walkerville 60km Race on Sunday. Wheels performed faultles and are running as true as we set them.

Wheelset

Front Hub : Hope Pro II QR15 with 15mm through axle

Rear Hub : Hope Pro II Normal Quick Releas Axle

Rims : NoTubes ZTR Crest

Spokes : DT Swiss Double Butted Black Spokes and Brass Nipples.

Front Tyre : Specialized The Captain Control 2.0

Rear Tyre : Specialized The Captain Fast Track 2.0

And the end product:

Front Wheel:

post-4111-025901500 1279557922.jpg

Rear Wheel : Still a bit wet from the wash

post-4111-003225000 1279558331.jpg

please tell me you weighed them? I forgot to weigh mine before putting the tires on..:unsure:

please tell me you weighed them? I forgot to weigh mine before putting the tires on..:unsure:

On my scale about 1.5 kg subject to calibration certification...lol

I also weighed the complete set vs my previous set and I took 1kg of the bike...

I have a white set laced to Chris King hubs - they're awesome. I find they seal very well - just make sure you get the proper Stans rim tape. Light and it works! Happy trails bru.

I have a white set laced to Chris King hubs - they're awesome. I find they seal very well - just make sure you get the proper Stans rim tape. Light and it works! Happy trails bru.

I use Roval rim tape (Specialized) as it works very well and costs a lot less than Stans. I have two sets of weals already running like that with no problems. Just did not have time to do it on saturday but hopefully ready for next Saturdays Daimond Rush.,

Did the tubeless conversion last week on the front wheel so weighed the wheel in at only 780g

Very nice indeed!

Hope Hubs are high up on my shopping list.

(I see you used brass nipples in the end - did JB push you away from alu nipples?)

Very nice indeed!

Hope Hubs are high up on my shopping list.

(I see you used brass nipples in the end - did JB push you away from alu nipples?)

He sure did as I would have liked some red ones but to me it is more about durability and I weigh around 87kg so I listened to the master.

How does the weight of these babies compare to a set of Shimano XT wheels? Would love to know cause I am thinking of buying the XT set.

Naa, much prefer my new baby, got her last week...............nine weeks old wednesday......

post-16119-062691800 1280144745.jpg

And are you also enjoying the new toyota! :D