Geax UST tires

Wannabe

I wasn't happy in the wet at all with them (actuall got scared a few times) but they roll very well on hard ground and side walls are thicker than most.

I have seen that many guys here ride the Geax Barro after a lot fo rain.

I had a set on the front and back .... in dry weather great. In muddy, wet roots , wet leaf/pine needles lethal .... Had some good tumbles because of this ... also my fault not being careful

My buddy swears by his sagu's. He also rides into trees alot.

For wet cape winter i suggest kenda karma or nevegal 2.1 or the mountain king 2.2.

Philip, was also thinking of Kenda's. Which one would you fit front and rear. Can get them at a great price.

TNT = Tubes, No Tubes

Have only heard great things about them as summer tires here in the cape.

TNT = Tubes, No Tubes

Have only heard great things about them as summer tires here in the cape.

Ah, the penny drops.

Had a pair of TNT too, was not impressed with the handling. There are 2 ways to install them 1. For fast rolling 2. For grip.

I installed them for fast rolling and really came undone on more than one occasion. Front seems to washout a lot when going aggressive into corners. I thought there was something wrong with the way I ride. Changed my tyres and never fallen since then Touch wood.

I prefer Mountain king/Race King option.

I rode mezcals for a while, they were TNT though, dont know if thats very different to UST? Anyway, they are ok, not amazing though. I was quite disappointed with their grip. I'm also very glad I never punctured them as pulling them off a rim and putting them back on is mission impossible...

I quite like the Mezcals - quite a fast tyre with decent puncture protection. Pretty much a semi slick, so if you are wanting any grip, I wouldn't recommend them. Perfect for Cape summers or long dirt road riding like Baviaans or 100Miler etc. If you are one of the lucky ones who can handle a bike quite well (I'm certainly not) you'll be ok with these tyres on the more technical stuff.

Try the Saguaro, Barro (Mud/Mountain) or Aka if you are looking for something a little more grippy.

Philip, was also thinking of Kenda's. Which one would you fit front and rear. Can get them at a great price.

I'm riding a karma on the front right now. This will later move to the back to make way for a nevegal up front.

The nevegal is alot chunkier, and looks like it will roll into a corner and still have grip while the back wheel is sliding about half a metre to the side and you're counter steering like Sarel van der Merwe with a mad glint in his eye.

Thanks for all the input, guys and gals. Pretty much made up my mind which to go for, but I'm sure the chap at the LBS will sway me in another direction again. :D

Fitted the Geax Saguaro at the front and a Mezcal at the back. Got them for a good price (I think!?)

Will take bike for test in Majik forest this afternoon, although I'm not that much of a pro that I'll notice the difference in performance of various tyres. All that I know is that they are new, and compared to my old worn out tyres MUST have better grip. :D

Put both wheels on the scale there, boy, ARE THEY HEAVY. Weighed in at 4.72kg, cassette and QR's included.

Wheels are Shimano 565 (or is that 656!? :unsure: )disc compatible, but I'm still running V Brakes. The wheels alone is a huge portion of my bikes weight of 13.3kg, including Bottlle holders and saddle bag.

Went for a quick ridearound at Majik after work. Did target a few mud puddles, and tyres seemed to behave better than my previous setup.

So far so good. Will see how they behave Saturday at The Burger.