Issues with Garmin Edge 500?

Gerhardc

I have seached theHub and can't find anything on this....

Do any of you have or know of issues with the Garmin Edge 500? (i.e. difficulty with screen visibility, poor battery life, screen and functions freezing).

I am seriously considering to acquire a Garmin...but should it be the Edge 705 or 500....I am no serious racer, just your normal weekend rider who likes gadgets... :D (why not.... :P )

The previous firmware did have issues. My screen frose after a couple of lap presses....

The new firmware (2.4) sorted that issue. Since then, I had no issues whatsoever.

I have been using mine for about 4 months now with no problems!!

I have one, and it does (did?) have issues.

have a look on the garmin forums - https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

having said that, the problems didn't make the unit unusable, just frustrating at times

they have since released a new FW, which supposedly fixes all the previous problems, and according to feedback on the forums, looks like it works.

I've only done 1 ride with the latest FW, so cant comment, but nothing went wrong.

I also love gadgets and this one is pretty sweet

i got a 705 last week and loving it.... havent encounted any hickups yet..

like anything, you learn as you go, but its been preety straight forward so far.

using it on road and mtb, with 2 different cadence/speed sensors. Also "Garmin connect" is awesome..

Thanks spinnekop en wonduhboy.... Seems like the new firmware have sorted the Edge 500 issues....do you guys use normal Windows based PC's/laptops or Apple Mac's? I have an Apple Macbook and was wondering if Garmin have all the software for both operating systems (Windows and Mac)?

Thanks spinnekop en wonduhboy.... Seems like the new firmware have sorted the Edge 500 issues....do you guys use normal Windows based PC's/laptops or Apple Mac's? I have an Apple Macbook and was wondering if Garmin have all the software for both operating systems (Windows and Mac)?

Hi Gerhard

Speak to Alex he bought a 500 a while ago and also changed firmware and as far as I know he is happy with his. Training Center is available for Mac

Hi Gerhard

Speak to Alex he bought a 500 a while ago and also changed firmware and as far as I know he is happy with his. Training Center is available for Mac

Thanks Ou Toppie... :D :D :D well done met die Diamond Rush....ek het geknor oor die 66km, veral daai lang grondpad opdraande het my klaar gemaak....maar my mojo het darem die laaste 15-20km teruggekeer!! :)

Garmin's software that comes with is pretty crap compared to what is out there! I bought Trainingpeaks' software to help with the power data and it works just fine!

Windows based though but I think they do Mac as well.....

Garmin as well as Polar is moving to a web based database where you download all your data onto their site. I have used Garmin's online stuff and it works fine. Power data analysis is just crappy, thus the TP software.

Thanks Ou Toppie... :D :D :D well done met die Diamond Rush....ek het geknor oor die 66km, veral daai lang grondpad opdraande het my klaar gemaak....maar my mojo het darem die laaste 15-20km teruggekeer!! :)

Het self maar daar op gesukkel met my swaar fiets, riser bars, bar ends Short sleeve jacket ens..:D.. en my eie gewig maar verder was dit great fun.

Het geweet daar is iets met my seeding verkeerd maar ek was darem nie stone last in die A bunch nie...... :D

Bly die mojo het terug gekom. Klink my julle het baie carbo en protien loading gedoen..... Ons beplan Vrydag middag so 'n 2.5 uur ride om die kop of daar by Renzo hulle se valley.....Ek het self die 705 al vir twee jaar en sal nie weer iets anders koop nie....

I think all you should really look at is if you need a base map for navigation purposes, if you dont then edge 500