Not all roadies are bad

leet22

But have you tried real running?

It is so much more rewarding than any form of cycling simply because your (lack of) performance cannot be attributed to (lacing) equipment. It is just you. Not you and your machine. And that is where the buck stops with running. No riding the bunch, no following the line. No loafing down the hill, no slip streaming traffic. Just one self propelled step after the other.

If you stop running, you stand still. You cannot free wheel down the hills.You want to rest? No sitting up. You have to stop your motion and sit, or lie down. Cycling is an easy sport, maybe even a lazy sport when compared to running. Try it, and you'll see how your cycling improves.

PS1: My training consists of 99% running (1% = occasional cycling race - mtb and road), and I'm doing reasonably OK on a bicycle for the cycling effort I put in.

PS2: Runners do not get knocked over by cars the way cyclist do... so it is much safer as well (trail / road running!)

we'll talk in 10 years time again

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all lies. Ever since I traded my dirt bike for something slick and carbon I can feel the nastiness swelling inside me. It's like a canker and the worst of it all is - I like it hahahahahaha....

canker ?? hehehe

Guest agteros

we'll talk in 10 years time again

You just scared of running because it is 'tough to do' ?

There is no proof that runner have a higher incidence of knee problems than non-runners. It accentuates latent problems just more! These latent problems can mostly be attributed to muscle imbalances that were not addressed correctly and in time. Human beings were designed as biological beings to walk and run. The bicycle is a recent invention (VERY recent!)

I've been runner since primary school, and the only 'problem' I had is due to too much physical activity at a sensitive growing stage. This 'problem' can happen to any early/mid teen child that takes part in a lot of sport. I'm in the vets category now, and the sporting hiatus I've taken since I came out of school did me more harm than any number of kilometers I've run, or cycle before or since I've taken up sport again.

Guest agteros

Read this http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0223.htm (Running injury: Pity the poor runner he'll have arthritis when he's older. Or will he?)

The conclusion:

Although the Stanford researchers didn't ask their sedentary subjects to give exercise a try, other , scientists have done so. Notably, in a recent research effort a group of 50- to 65-year-old individuals who were previously sedentary embarked on a vigorous exercise programme and achieved considerable improvements in their musculoskeletal health.
The bottom line? At present, it seems relatively certain that running and other forms of exercise are linked with positive health outcomes, including the well-being of the muscles, connective tissues, and joints. ('Ageing, Long-Distance Running, and the Development of Musculoskeletal Disability, ' The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 82, pp. 772- 780, 1987; 'Running and the Development of

Disability with Age, ' Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 121, pp. 502-509, 1994)

Guest agteros
;) When I cycle I always wave to runners, coz I know that when I am on a bicycle I am the weaker of the two 'athletes' and need to show respect :lol::D

Not that I have anything against roadies but I have noticed some fundamental differences, (This is a generalization and there is obviously an exception to every rule)

1. MTB chaps are a lot more laid back and friendly

2. MTB chaps are'nt bothered if their helmets match their underwear

3. MTB guys would offer assitance where a roadie feels its bad form to stop and help

But in the end I think its because roadies just take themselves way to seriously. They should all go out and buy a MTB to have fun and relax.

But thats just my humble opinion feel free to burn me.

Not that I have anything against roadies but I have noticed some fundamental differences, (This is a generalization and there is obviously an exception to every rule)

1. MTB chaps are a lot more laid back and friendly

2. MTB chaps are'nt bothered if their helmets match their underwear

3. MTB guys would offer assitance where a roadie feels its bad form to stop and help

But in the end I think its because roadies just take themselves way to seriously. They should all go out and buy a MTB to have fun and relax.

But thats just my humble opinion feel free to burn me.

I fully agree with you - and i am saying this as a full time 100% road cyclists who (tries) to ride fast. I just try to ride with guys 'n girls who are a bit more relaxed, look-out for each other, love cycling, but are also competitive.

canker ?? hehehe

It's like a canker, i kid you not! Starts small and inconspicuous and then soon your friends cant stop staring at it, your girlfriend is... I digress, sorry.

;) When I cycle I always wave to runners, coz I know that when I am on a bicycle I am the weaker of the two 'athletes' and need to show respect :lol::D

Dude, everything you said is true but running is still silly.

And what's the point of doing something you can't dream about spending ridiculous sums of money on kit! I know there are shoes and shoes and well, shoes, but come on!

Some fighting again

We are just playing. Read through the posts again. More slowly this time. It's tongue in cheek.

Guest agteros

Dude, everything you said is true but running is still silly.

And what's the point of doing something you can't dream about spending ridiculous sums of money on kit! I know there are shoes and shoes and well, shoes, but come on!

Ah, but that is the big attraction to running, the sheer simplicity of it all! Did I mention the low cost of events?

And generally, runners make decent cyclists not the other way round. Road cycling season starts soon, and I can't remember when last I've been on my road bike. The MTB has only seen action during a few races since May/June. But I'm not worried as my 4 to 5 hours of running a week since June, and 2.5 to 3.5 hours per week before that will stand me in good stead :)

Ah, but that is the big attraction to running, the sheer simplicity of it all! Did I mention the low cost of events?

And generally, runners make decent cyclists not the other way round. Road cycling season starts soon, and I can't remember when last I've been on my road bike. The MTB has only seen action during a few races since May/June. But I'm not worried as my 4 to 5 hours of running a week since June, and 2.5 to 3.5 hours per week before that will stand me in good stead :)

That's for sure, I can't run for spit. Never have been able to. My legs are just all wrong for it.

Not all roadies are bad............ they just dont know how to ride on the road!!!!

Thats true........................ they build the cycle path on otto Dup and the dude still rides on the road? Hmm not to sure if he likes his life or not :mellow: Why fight with cars when u have all the path to yourself :blink:

Guest agteros

Thats true........................ they build the cycle path on otto Dup and the dude still rides on the road? Hmm not to sure if he likes his life or not :mellow: Why fight with cars when u have all the path to yourself :blink:

Sounds like swimming in the chlorinated pool on the beach next to the ocean!ohmy.gif