I just recieved an e-mail from a mate in.......

GrumpyOldGuy

.....the South to say that a cyclist was attacked and assualted this morning at 10am while riding on the service road between the Waterstone College and the Lido Hotel.

Appears 2 men came out of the bush and one hit him on the head with a Knobkerry, fortunately his Helmet took most of the blow, but he was stunned and fell, then they assualted him with the knobkerries hitting him on the back and shoulders, and well, you can guess whats missing........!

Apparently he was an elderly man, I understand late 50's early 60's - but thats usual with cowards like this.

I dont know his physical condition after the attack.

So just a "heads up" if you ride in that area,I am sure we will hear more as time go's on - I know the area, I used ride there, but stopped at least a year ago, just one of the most dangerous routes I can imagine.

.....the South to say that a cyclist was attacked and assualted this morning at 10am while riding on the service road between the Waterstone College and the Lido Hotel.

Appears 2 men came out of the bush and one hit him on the head with a Knobkerry, fortunately his Helmet took most of the blow, but he was stunned and fell, then they assualted him with the knobkerries hitting him on the back and shoulders, and well, you can guess whats missing........!

Apparently he was an elderly man, I understand late 50's early 60's - but thats usual with cowards like this.

I dont know his physical condition after the attack.

So just a "heads up" if you ride in that area,I am sure we will hear more as time go's on - I know the area, I used ride there, but stopped at least a year ago, just one of the most dangerous routes I can imagine.

Oi !

Thats not elderly !!!!

**** em!

This is bull... On my way to out! We really don't need this. We pay tax to government to provide services such as safety and security. Not freakin expensive cars and parties and crap! AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHGH!

Oi !

Thats not elderly !!!!

**** em!

Yeah, I am 52 myself but thats what the e-mail said.

I phoned him now and he was treated in hospital and has gone home.

It's just so damn brutal, I dont know, but it seems to me they have done this before, it was planned and he was just unlucky to be the one who rode past.

.....this time it was a kierry, next time it may be a knife, or a gun, and the rider is dead or so maimed he wishes he was dead - I just cant understand it, is life so cheap, or is it just you have what I want and thats it.?

Uncool! :unsure:

Everyday there are peoples that break down the dream, and emerging reality, that is the Rainbow Nation...

Alot out of ignorance and lack of education.

Some out of desperation and fear.

Some out of the need to be 'right' and make others 'wrong'. Etc.

I laaik this picture. This is our challenge as South Africans in a lil' image:

Some building the Rainbow... Some breaking...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TXZGnDS5dKs/SFc1bdhDR0I/AAAAAAAAAeQ/Vz0UIOkECE4/s400/PP+188+rainbow+nation.jpg

Yeah, nice cartoon G Man.

I think most people can accept crime is universal, you cant go anywhere to get away from it, however SA crime is brutal, vicious and often deadly.

I find that hard to accept.

I have spoken to the gentleman who was attacked, although I dont know him well, he is in the same club as me and I would occassionally see him on rides, he said the police told him the force was deadly, they swung a knobkierry at his face, fortunately, instinctively he ducked, and the blow hit him on the helmet. with sufficient force to knock him backwards off his bicycle.

Had it hit his face or bare head it would have split his head open like a melon - thats intent to kill, and for what - a bicycle! a cell phone!, a few rand in his pockets!

Says his days of cycling on the roads are over, he will train at the VA and ride once a week with the club when there are 10 or more riders.

Chased off your own roads by scum who have no respect for life or limb - very uncool.!

This is so sad that we are being reduced to ride only when there are other cyclists with us so that we can ride in bunches to feel safe.

It just shows how cowardly these scum are that they have to attack older people who can't fight back.

I am seriously considering selling my bikes and getting a motorbike......at least I will still be on 2 wheels :rolleyes:

Strongs to the rider that got attacked and hope he recovers quickly, though I'm sure the emotional scars will be with him for a long time.