Chapmans peak closed indefinitely

word

mdk555 I am with you on that.  My best Argus yet was on the detour with a time of 3:10.  Have never been able to beat that time over Chappies.  But Chappies is nicer.

But it seems as if it is almost normal to close Chappies this time of the year.  I was in CT for almost two weeks last year this time and I remember it was closed then as well.  Opened about a week after I returned to Gangsters Paradise.  I enjoyed going over Ou Kaapse weg serveral times from both directions.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Homer,

IF we alternate routes, then that would be nice , I like the chappies route, but I prefer racing the Detour and OU Kaapse, at least you don;t have some "Poo p all" signing Suikerbos ek will jou he ( Duh why did I say that)

From a purely scenic point of view, doing the last 30 k's (from Sun Valley onwards)...let see:  past Noordhoek (did somebody say topless girls?), over Chappies (nice view over the Hout Bay n?), up Suikerbossie (all sing along now....) and then all along the sea (cool breezes for us late starters), level/downhill...great.  Or:  turn right up small Oukaaps....then Oukaaps...zero spectators, no sea view, over the other side, fast, dangerous descent, then...slog up the blue route (where's the sea??), little bastards of hills past UCT and Hospital bend....wow, now we get go past the CBD...Big%20smile

Point is, I ride the Argus as a social event, I don't race.  So there is no contest regarding which route is preferable.  If you race...well then I suppose it dont really matter, as long as you get the time you want.

You are so dangnabit right about the scenic point of view, there is most certainly nothing like it, I rode with my friend this last year, and rode it as a scenic ride, but I still prefer racing the detour, anyway its not in our hands and if everything goes well, we will be racing (Scenic riding) around chappies and Suiker bos ek will jou heBig%20smile

Guest colonel

Why cant they make the route go backwards instead??

imagine, the start , going up that little twisty climb , then down into Houtbay, then up chappies, oooh I like it already

Don't worry guys, sources close to the scene indicated that it should take no more than three weeks to clear up the mud slides and rock falls.  Hold thumbs.