Riding alone?

GLuvsMtb

Riding alone - do you ever...?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever go for a solo mountainbike ride on your own?

• Never - It is unsocial and unsafe
    • Occasionally - I choose well used trails that I know if riding alone.
    • All the time - If I fall and kill myself, its a good way to go.

My 3 Favourite places to ride at the moment (in no particular order):

- MTN Cyclepark (particularly the dirt jumps, and Space Junk)

- Helderkruin DH Trail

- Spruit Jumps

But the ony one of these that I'll go ride alone is the cycle park, cos one is not really alone there.

The other 2, I'm pretty scared that no one will hear my screams in the event of a "lie-down" hahaha!

Other than that... most trails etc I'll ride alone unless there's a crime risk.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always try to get a few people to join whenever I ride, but as stated by someone previously, getting all the diaries in sinc is not always possible. Ride mostly in Centurion (Eldoraigne) and Old JHB road towards Monument and Groenkloof.

Never felt unsafe, but then again, this is not exactly the wild wild west here :rolleyes:

I have noted the quick judgement on a group that left a cyclist behind during a group ride this past weekend. I'm sure we have gone out for a solo ride before. I commute in summer. Often on my own and I ride some local trails on my way in to work / home - also alone (well there are other riders around, but not riding specifically with me). Who else does this?

i think there's a differnece between being left behind, and deciding to cycle solo.

i often ride alone - on my daily commute through the spruit, and sometimes on my way to meet people for rides. i know the area and i know alternative routes.

when i cycle with a group, it might be through unfamiliar terrain - it happened to me once on a club-roadie-ride years ago; i stopped at a red traffic light (duh, what was i thinking) and everybody disappeared and i had no clue where i was - or how to get back to my car, let alone safe routes going there.

I have noted the quick judgement on a group that left a cyclist behind during a group ride this past weekend. I'm sure we have gone out for a solo ride before. I commute in summer. Often on my own and I ride some local trails on my way in to work / home - also alone (well there are other riders around, but not riding specifically with me). Who else does this?

i have to commute mainly because i have to , besides i ride my bike to ride my bike. if i can help it i stay on the sidewalk and thats safe enough,i have also chosen a route by now that is pretty safe ,what with summer on the way it gets light early

work at montana hospital and stay in leeuwfontein north east of roodeplaatdam.comute from work to home twice a week,nice ride but very lonely.

now that could be a dangerous route anyway u look at it, thats to say the traffic in zambezi and extention till one gets to baviaanspoort prison t-junction,safe riding and be careful chap

I ride alone, but as someone here said..... otherwise I will never ride. Advertised here on the hub. Joined a group. At this stage I am just plain tired to beg people to ride with me .

So I ride alone and sometimes actually prefers it. But I do take precautions like riding on the busiest time of the day etc..

I know it is still unsafe but should I stop riding?

hell no u ride your bike to ride your bike ...not so? i have that same problem .....what to do ....lol