Riding alone?

GLuvsMtb

Riding alone - do you ever...?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever go for a solo mountainbike ride on your own?

• Never - It is unsocial and unsafe
    • Occasionally - I choose well used trails that I know if riding alone.
    • All the time - If I fall and kill myself, its a good way to go.

I ride alone, but as someone here said..... otherwise I will never ride. Advertised here on the hub. Joined a group. At this stage I am just plain tired to beg people to ride with me .

So I ride alone and sometimes actually prefers it. But I do take precautions like riding on the busiest time of the day etc..

I know it is still unsafe but should I stop riding?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only in the local MTB parks - where I know it is quite safe - but always let someone know whera nd when I will be home - so if I do fall and do not return they will hopefully come looking ...

I mtb at Tokai on my own fairly often. But there are normally always people around, although a few weeks back I had some leave and went midweek during the day and there were no other cyclists. Do tend to be a bit more cautious when I'm on my own...

I prefer cycling with my mates, but sometimes its kinda cool having some solitude and the whole mountain to yourself.

I too ride alone, not all the time though. Sometimes its difficult too organise your life around other people to do group rides. I can then ride at my own pace, stop when I want etc etc. I carry a pepper spray in case, not sure if it will come in handy on a trail if a person has a weapon( I have used it before on the road). I refuse to be made to feel threatened while by myself. Just use good judgment and no unfamiliar places.

I'm always on my own, but I keep my wife informed of my route and ensure that she is aware that I should be home at a certain time.

Ride Tokai forest to mast alone always even weekdays. No one I know rides, tried to get mates and family into MTB but all to lazy.

Always carry cell and 9mm.

I ride alone a lot, as there are only two of us riding in our dorpie. I'm afraid I've been rather cavalier about it, ride new tracks, ride too fast, etc., until one ride in along the Wild Coast, negotiating a very rocky descent, and I fell onto a pointed rock, injuring my throat, fortunately at the top of the next hill when I couldn't swallow water I turned around for home, which was only an hour away. I had badly bruised my carotid. I'm a lot more circumspect now.

In all my years of cycling on my own, I've never ever felt threatened by the people in the Transkei (I speak Xhosa fluently), and only felt wary once, when the dogs in a village I was cycling through, started going for my legs (usually the dogs are friendly), I got out of there at high speed and have never returned.

I have never ever and will never carry a firearm with me when I'm riding, not because I'm anti firearms, I have a few myself, but because of the uncertainty of deploying the firearm with both hands on the handlebars, and the fear that the firearm will be taken and used against me. But then I ride in the rural areas of the Transkei and Ciskei, and not in Gauteng.

So for those of you Lone Rangers who ride road alone on weekends...what do you do when a group comes past? Do you jump in and test your fitness or do you just carry on with yr normal pace.

Also almost always ride on my own. Commute to work - Benoni-JHB - occassionally. Start in the early hours, and stick to busy routes in the arfie.

I ride alone due to the fact that I am not fit or strong enough to stay with a group.

Onetime this is the riding alone thread not the friday funnies :D

So for those of you Lone Rangers who ride road alone on weekends...what do you do when a group comes past? Do you jump in and test your fitness or do you just carry on with yr normal pace.

I dont' get passed very often... B) (or the fast people woke up a lot earlier than me).

I dont' get passed very often... B) (or the fast people woke up a lot earlier than me).

...maybe you riding too slow? Here in CT you dont dare to pass a group (or even a few cyclist), they will hunt you down and reel you in. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I have noted the quick judgement on a group that left a cyclist behind during a group ride this past weekend. I'm sure we have gone out for a solo ride before. I commute in summer. Often on my own and I ride some local trails on my way in to work / home - also alone (well there are other riders around, but not riding specifically with me). Who else does this?

Breaking your own rules :blink:

work at montana hospital and stay in leeuwfontein north east of roodeplaatdam.comute from work to home twice a week,nice ride but very lonely.