Bicycle Parts - LBS or Online

Caerus

Ive looked around at all the online stores from South Africa and still CRC cant be beat and most of LBs are not even prepared to compete with the prices CRC is offering(granted they are having a sale). Just in the two parts im looking for at the moment im saving R1k, so can afford to get something else as we.

At the moment im looking for Shimano XTR front and rear mechs, and possibly pedals as well.

I seldom find CRC to be cheaper than my local LBSs and thats even before considering time and effort to order from CRC. Not saying that local is always better but in places like the Cape, its never a waste of your time to first check with your LBS.

How is ordering from CRC more time and effort then calling around all your LBS, and possibly checking other online stores. When all along CRC was still gonna be miles cheaper. I would love to be able to just walk into my LBS and buy from them. But with funds limited(the wife) I need all the savings I can get, but the LBS's still are not really playing ball.

...your memory serves you well there Hey! Shot Kieran.

I just had a good laugh!! :lol: Brilliant.

Only a pleasure dude B)

Ha ha glad you enjoyed that one B)

Didn't mean it like that. Premium in the subjective sense.

What do we as the customer perceive as a premium?

*When do we start quibbling price/ is something expensive? RE value threshold? eg above R2000?

*Is there a value to the peace of mind in having easy to settle warranty with a local receipt.

*Is there a premium for "have it now" vs "delay from the global store"

Opportunity cost?

Does anyone have a LBS near them that is worth trying or are pretty competitive on their prices?

Im looking at rebuilding up my old GT hardtail bike, So its gonna be a bit of everything I guess. Its gonna be buying new parts for my other bike then transferring the old parts too the GT hardtail. Ive checked out CWC and Solomons as well.

Just looking to support local for once if I can otherwise its back to CRC. Are there not any independent people selling parts at all.

My LBS asked R350 a couple of months ago to rebuild bike if I supply parts.

I have decided to do it myself, not because of the price, but to learn and service bike myself in future.

I seldom find CRC to be cheaper than my local LBSs

Your LBS is cheaper than CRC on what exactly please do tell?

Which one are you referring to: Williams Bike Shop, Cycle Addiction, Jaynic, Active Cycles or Helderberg Cycle World?

I have compared prices at all of these over time. Some smaller consumables might be cheaper but not much. Helderberg Cycles is the most expensive outa them all. There is only one place to have your most prized possession serviced and that is Williams Bike Shop.

I am all for supporting the locals but with my last order neither Easygis or CWC could get the exact models I wanted, I did check. Click-Click Ding-Dong and the stuff is here.