Training with Power

According to coggan:

As a rule of thumb: Critical power (CP) CP60 can be derived from CP30 value  by taking CP30 minus 5% will most often put you in the zone of CP60.

Does anyone know how to derive other values from CP30 value. I am interested in say CP12, CP120 and CP180

I know the best method is to perform the tests yourself, but man, to test Critical Power for 2 and 3 hours is surely not that nice and could be determined by some other method.

Wow... now I missed the boat... where can one get more info on what you already have. I know the Minolta guys in Heidelberg are using this method you mentioned above. Thanks

According to coggan:

As a rule of thumb: Critical power (CP) CP60 can be derived from CP30 value  by taking CP30 minus 5% will most often put you in the zone of CP60.

Does anyone know how to derive other values from CP30 value. I am interested in say CP12' date=' CP120 and CP180

I know the best method is to perform the tests yourself, but man, to test Critical Power for 2 and 3 hours is surely not that nice and could be determined by some other method.

[/quote']

Guys

I am working with Admin on a "power" training forum but until then please mail me at peter@bikemax.co.za  with your mail address and I can help you with a model by Monod that will allow you to estimate critical powers over a range of times. You need to test at at least 3 durations (I reccomend 20 min, 5 min and 1 min)

Not really necessary to predict the longer (>30 min powers) because you are unlikely to be using this duration in a training session with power. If you have a power meter (I am assuming you do) then download cycling peaks software at www.cyclingpeaks.com and once you start to collect data from your rides this app will also produce a peak power curve for you at all the durations you have ridden.

Hope this helps for starters

Peter