Bar Ends

evolve

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of these days people will be fitting tri-bars to the MTBs.

Been done already, picture taken at a Bern Cup Elite mens race

post-182-012456600 1282646841_thumb.jpg

I've got specialized wing grips on my riser bar and I love them. They are worth not getting bar ends especially if you have a riser-bar. bar ends look terrible on riser bars.

...SNIP....

They are worth not getting bar ends especially if you have a riser-bar. bar ends look terrible on riser bars.

Thats funny i thought bar ends were an item to provide improved performance / functionality.

I've got specialized wing grips on my riser bar and I love them. They are worth not getting bar ends especially if you have a riser-bar. bar ends look terrible on riser bars.

If you actually think you look good in Lycra and go for a top 10 in races- don't put bar ends on your riser bars.

For the rest - go with what works for you.

If you actually think you look good in Lycra and go for a top 10 in races- don't put bar ends on your riser bars.

For the rest - go with what works for you.

If you good enough to finish in the top 10 you should not use riser bars period.

Thats funny i thought bar ends were an item to provide improved performance / functionality.

I find the bar ends only make the ride more comfortable. Wing grips I much prefer to keep your hands from dying on long rides.

If you good enough to finish in the top 10 you should not use riser bars period.

Exactly!

For the rest of us, looking good on the bike takes second place to feeling comfy.

Manfrog your adding to the confusion...

To further expand on the question, hypotheticaly speaking....

If a rider who normaly races 2 hr XC events and has a riser bar on his/her bike (lets say cause he/she finds it more comfortable and feels it handles better) if he / she decides to enter a stage race i.e. Cape Epic, Trans rockies or similar... He / She should not:

1. Use bar ends, unless he/she changes to a flat bar.

2. Finish in the top 10.

Without mentioning the obvious fact that the fashion police wont like it, pray tell why this is so?

"the obvious fact that the fashion police wont like it"

No confusion dude, it looks stoopid and people will point and laugh, period B)

Why do people use risers? To raise the bars right. IF you know what you are doing and you should if you are a top 10 finisher, then you know that you should:

1. leave more space on the fork to raise so that the stem can be higher

2. get a stem with higher reach.

Risers were invented for trail and extreme riding, not XC and marathons. How they made it to XC scene only the gods would know.

No confusion dude, it looks stoopid and people will point and laugh, period B)

Is it important for your bar ends (fitted to non riser bar ofcourse!)to match your socks?

Are there exceptions to the rule regarding matching socks? For example if riding marathons, xc, etc?

Why do people use risers? To raise the bars right...

Agreed, but why raise the bars?

1. To provide better control on steep terrain.

2. Create a more upright (comfortable) position.

Risers were invented for trail and extreme riding...

Kind of agree, see 1 above. However I'm sure the same reasons "of invention" can apply to all forms of mountain biking.

...not XC and marathons.

Disagree - XC and even marathons can include steep sections, trails and extreme sections.

How they made it to XC scene only the gods would know.

Clearly there was a need.

Risers like bar ends are used for a specefic purpose and got nothing to do with "looking good" or "stoopid".

Why do people use risers? To raise the bars right...

Agreed, but why raise the bars?

1. To provide better control on steep terrain.

2. Create a more upright (comfortable) position.

Risers were invented for trail and extreme riding...

Kind of agree, see 1 above. However I'm sure the same reasons "of invention" can apply to all forms of mountain biking.

...not XC and marathons.

Disagree - XC and even marathons can include steep sections, trails and extreme sections.

How they made it to XC scene only the gods would know.

Clearly there was a need.

Risers like bar ends are used for a specefic purpose and got nothing to do with "looking good" or "stoopid".

since when do you sit up when you climb a steep climb? You drop you body down forward so that the nose don't lift.