Bar Ends

evolve

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and so what, you can still do that with risers.

But you can drop down further on flat bars.

I really don't know how people set up their bikes so that flat bars are uncomfortable. Maybe comming from a roadbike background low down is more comfortable to me.

Is it important for your bar ends (fitted to non riser bar ofcourse!)to match your socks?

Are there exceptions to the rule regarding matching socks? For example if riding marathons, xc, etc?

If you have carbon fibre bar ends you have to have carbon fibre socks.

Bar ends like anything else for that matter should be used if you get a benefit from them.

If it works use them - I personally use them to protect my bike when I go over the handlebars in the Magaliesburg. ;)

One of these days people will be fitting tri-bars to the MTBs.

Here in Europe they are already doing that.There were pics a few weeks back .

But you can drop down further on flat bars.

I really don't know how people set up their bikes so that flat bars are uncomfortable. Maybe comming from a roadbike background low down is more comfortable to me.

LOL... if your bars limit your weight distribution efforts whilst climbing then your riding a seriously steep hill, how often does that happen?

Handle bar height invariably depends on a persons flexibility. The more flexible you are the lower you can go without limiting your performance or comfort. Some people (Usually tall long legged flexibly challenged types) sometimes struggle to obtain a comfortable handle bar height even with steeper stems and max spacers under the stem. Also lots of manufactures now sell mtbks standard with a riser bar, whether this is for comfort or function reasons I don’t know for sure.

All I know is that for me:

1. A riser bar gives me more confidence / control while riding steep / technical descents, maybe I’m a woes and it’s all in the mind but then I’ve yet to see a flat bar on a downhill bike.

2. Allows me to achieve a reasonably comfortable handle bar height with a reasonably light weight stem and without going over board on the stem spacers.

As for bar ends they provide an extra hand position which results in more comfort and leverage when standing and pedaling irrespective of which type of handle bar you have.

If your mates laugh at you then they should take a look in the mirror and check the clown.

EDIT: The author does not use bar ends currently. He used to when he had flat bars but unfortuantely evolution is a slow and gradual process.