Dented Tubeless MTB wheel - what to do?

Stumpyrider

Maybe I should explain a bit better why I don't recommend the shifting spanner trick. It will work and it will bend the ridge back. However, when I said its reach is not enough, I wasn't talking about the inside of the rim. It's the outside, where the short reach (essentially determined by how far the spanner can move in on the inside) tends to put fresh dents on the outside of the rim just underneat the first inside wall. These little dents are therefore in a hollow section and it is impossible to reach behind and get them out again.

Brighter Lights described a method that will no doubt avoid the problem of secondary dents - that of cushioning the fulcrum end of the spanner.

I find that hammering the dent out is a far more effective way of getting it almost perfect. However, don't take hammer to rim quite yet, I'll take some photos and show the technique in a separate posting in Tech Q&A. You'll need only three tools and with some understanding and patience anyone can fix a rim. In fact, this skill is a very useful one to have if you ride over rocks.

And thats why he is the man :)

Stumpyrider go to your LBS and ask them to retape the rim with Stans yellow tape.

Johan I wait in anticipation for your post on rim panelbeating 101...........

Sounds to me like alot of guys are running narrow tyres (1.9 or 2.0) which exposes the rim to more rocks, etc.

The widths depend on the tyre manufacturers as the 2.0 Specialized tyre is different to the Michelin.

Sounds to me like alot of guys are running narrow tyres (1.9 or 2.0) which exposes the rim to more rocks, etc.

The widths depend on the tyre manufacturers as the 2.0 Specialized tyre is different to the Michelin.

ride bigger tyres and adjust pressure for terrain. On a gravel road you can ride tubeless nice and soft but for rocky traisl at speed you'll need higher pressures which will protect the rims and of course put additional force through the rear suspension and the ride will be harder, but your rims will stay dent free...